17 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Italy
X-theme says

Hi guys,

we submitted our first theme on themeforest and received the famous rejection for “genericness”. This issue is hard to solve..

Here their feedback:
Overall, this is a very solid effort. I’m seeing a few issues that will need to be rectified but before that you need a bigger issue first — genericness.

Try to make your theme’s design more unique and less simplistic. A unique design is a key factor for approval.

I know it’s frustrating to be rejected citing uniqueness but recently, we’ve gotten a large number items with the same layout and presentation and we have to draw the line somewhere.

We reached a point of saturation already. At this point, we’re only looking for unique variations of this kind of layout. [header, slider, teaser, footer]

I stronged important sentences.. I admit our structure is a bit viewed, but we pointed on cleaning. Probably we miss some important feature as responsive, gfonts and multiple styles, but I think our theme is salable and our framework is easy and handy to use.

Demo: http://demo.x-theme.com/moderncare/

I hope you can wrote good and constructive advices to improve this theme. We won’t begin from 0.. :(

Thanks

17 posts
  • Located in Italy
X-theme says

No advices = Perfect Project ?

I do not think :)

Last night I dreamed of some possible improvements (reject is forcing my mind to work at night :| )

STRUCTURAL IMPROVEMENTS

• to remove top wrapper (logo and social icons)
  • to make menu on 100% band on the top adding logo (small) before HOME button
  • to remove box around slider and to add a 100% background photo with slides animated over (all slides png24 with transparent bg)
  • to add horizontal scorrling to featured posts
  • (I’m not sure about these improvements because some parts of layout would be boxed and some parts would be 100%.. Will be hard to mix without miss professionalism.. )

FUNCTIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

• to add small plus (”+”) button on top-right of screen to open a hidden panel on the top (it will appear as toggle box). This panel will contain Social Icons, maybe search field and probably an announcement or slogan. This panel can be closed from the same “plus”.
  • to arrange the slide’s parts (img1, img2, html title, html text) in more eccentric mode
  • to add a plus button on bottom-right (footer). This will close/open footer wrapper with a slide amination
  • to add absolute info boxes near important parts of layout to emphasize the concept. These would be similar to the boxes in wordpress admin (when you install latest version)
  • to add a “to the top” icon when user scoll down (fade effect)
  • AESTHETIC IMPROVEMENTS

• to add a particular GFont for menu
    • to add a particular GFont for headers tags and some title
    • to add css3 animation for many rollovers (social icon could zoom in, the icons under slider could incline to right (45°), all could move to right, all shortcodes could be improved by css3 animation)

Please write us what you think about these improvements.

Thanks!

88 posts
    libertux says

Hi,
    Seriously I think that your theme is one of the best ever seen! i dont undrestand what’s the problem with it, I’m new around here but I have a good eye and I think that they need new design ideas but your work is awsome.
    I think that you should make it responsive, using skeleton or bootstrap…, maybe this is the issue!

Good Luck

1034 posts
    • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
    • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
    +2 more
    BenSheppard says

Hi,
    Seriously I think that your theme is one of the best ever seen! i dont undrestand what’s the problem with it, I’m new around here but I have a good eye and I think that they need new design ideas but your work is awsome.
    I think that you should make it responsive, using skeleton or bootstrap…, maybe this is the issue!

Good Luck

Not quite I can see a good few issues

• It’s all really squashed together
    • Spacing issues
    • Your dropdown comes down too slow (petty one but it’s annoying)
    • Your footer looks off
    • I really don’t think the nav suits the theme

Don’t get me wrong, it looks good, it just looks unfinished and rushed, work on spacing a lot more and typography in a few places and you’ll be a lot closer to releasing it
    17 posts
    • Located in Italy
    X-theme says

Thanks all for feedback!

libertux I’m very happy for your positive comment! This give me more energy to improve theme and to try to be accepted in themeforest! If you like my work I think there is someone else who could buy this theme.

BenSheppard thank you for advices!

It’s all really squashed together
    I think this type of layout need to be full of informations. I used 20px of space everywhere. Obviously our theme isn’t based on this logic -> http://demo.gavick.com/wordpress/meetgavernwp/
    Our next theme will be based on that logic (I like so much your theme!)

Spacing issues
    Probably I understood where you see issue, but can you give me some example of space issue? So I can solve them!

Your dropdown comes down too slow (petty one but it’s annoying)
    You are right. I can speedup! Obviously there is an option in our framework, so I only need to login in demo wp and set better values in menù options.

Your footer looks off
    This comment needs explanation. Do you think the footer is too much dark? Probably I could add a bg pattern and make it more clear (not dark grey..)

I really don’t think the nav suits the theme
    For nav I think to add a GFont and arrange better logo, icons and search (as I wrote in my second post). Probably we need a better idea for submenus.

PS = Can anyone reply to my second post (my ideas for improvement)? Thanks!

6 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
    SpecialTactic says

I suggest for the footer, make the footer container with the background color (#313131) span 100%. I think the footer looks ‘weird’ because it’s center, isolated… when you span that black background 100% it looks better and less condensed.

I would say this theme does have a lot of quality shown in the released themes on TF.

Other than that, remove the 10px left and right margin for your header navigation bar. I think that makes it appear too “boxed in”.

I can tell you’ve put a lot of solid work into this theme. I’m pretty sure you’re close to acceptance. Good luck!

4 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
    • Has referred 1+ members
    • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
    • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
    +1 more
    webself says

Ops my error. I posted with other account.. I’m sorry. I ask moderator to delete my post from this discussion.

Thanks

17 posts
    • Located in Italy
    X-theme says

Hi Guys,

I finally redesigned theme on photoshop.. I attach here link to screen.

BEFORE [RE]DESIGN -> http://demo.x-theme.com/moderncare/

AFTER [RE]DESIGN -> http://www.x-theme.com/layout_home_redesigned.jpg

Ps = obviously I have in my mind many css3 transitions but I can show you only at the end (when I modify html an css on demo site) :)

Thanks all for feedbacks!

17 posts
    • Located in Italy
    X-theme says

Any feedback? :)

Tnks

1496 posts LoveThemes
    • Has referred 100+ members
    • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
    • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
    +6 more
    LoveThemes says

Not a bad start.

Give everything a little more room to breath, just a little more padding around sections throughout, i.e: Header, call-to sections under slider, footer items etc…

Work on contrast,darken up the text slightly, especially in the nav, hard to read text in a navigation is bad.

-Scott

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by