1256 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

hi – i’m still trying to ‘get’ WP, having coded thousands of pages in html over the years. I’ve seen various WP “custom html” plugins available… how can I most easily set up a WP theme so that say it has a slider at top, but then I can stick tables with content all over the homepage, wherever I want, like I could do in dreamweaver when coding regular html sites?

sorry for the newbie question; I’ve tried WP and joomla themes, it’s just they seem so restrictive in how to layout the pages, compared to just “open up a blank html page in dreamweaver and stick tables wherever I want” , which is how I’ve coded hundreds of sites over the years.

Seems like with WP you can’t easily just say “here’s a great white space I can fill with tables”, without a lot of messing around with all the little parameters and css/php hacks and all that hassle, that WP requires. I need to get up to speed; I’ve studied a lot of WP tutorials; still it seems a lot of work and time to get something looking how I want it, many more hours than simple coding in DW for tables/layouts… any suggestions?

for example, let’s say I get a WP theme and I want the default menu/slider at top, but instead of 2 vs 3 column default choices, I just want a big 950px wide by 900px tall “whitespace” that I can assemble various little tables in, for different site elements at the bottom of the page – any easy way to do that?

I’d like to buy a lot of WP themes here, it’s just that they take so darn long to customize, compared to simply setting up tables in DW, that’s holding me from converting my network of html based sites to WP sites.

thanks..

3663 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

I am sure you will get someone who is more experienced than me with WP development from scratch but there are a lot of “tableless” themes on here that using shortcodes you could create just about any look you want. There are also frameworks on here and you could look on http://marketplace.tutsplus.com/ for some good tutorials. And also tables? Not really used anymore except in emails right?
Good luck with your learning

12 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
themeshigh says

Turn off any sidebars on the page and you will be left with a full width. Put your tables and stuff inside the html content box where you edit the page. And I guess, put some css in the style.css file.

41 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
djmceltic says

You are mainly going to be editing the CSS . I do a WP site a week almost… I hardly ever have to ever touch the HTML on a decent theme… unless I am hardcoding a slider, image, or something like that.

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

Turn off any sidebars on the page and you will be left with a full width. Put your tables and stuff inside the html content box where you edit the page. And I guess, put some css in the style.css file.

thanks all… sounds like the WP themes may be able to do what I’m used to doing in DW.

For example, in DW, I’d typically:

a) create a big table say 950×600, then ‘split’ the table into 5 rows and 3 columns

b) I can then easily insert jquery/flash elements in any cell of the table

c) then say I add a jwplayer video box in the lower left cell

d) I like that, so then I make another video box in lower right cell, (300×250px)

e) now I add some graphics design text headline and bullets

f) I easily change the positions of what’s in the cell tables using cut and paste

etc etc..

all that stuff is simple in DW using tables and cell contents…

using WP, it’s like you have to create css/php-constricted ‘left columns/right columns’ which are hard to individually modify… in DW you can just create tabled sites and cut and paste tables and cell contents easily… let me know if any suggestions; thanks! maybe just use the framework of WP themes, then create big html spaces, code with tables in DW, and then copy/paste from DW into the WP theme html page/etc boxes.?

3426 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

You create your big table in Dreamweaver, make sure you only use absolute paths for every image, script, style, etc.. Then you would just have to paste the outputted code into the WordPress theme’s page creator. It’s quite simple.

However, it’s 2012, so you should really move on to tableless design(no offense intended) :)

1256 posts
graphic4444 says

hey thanks Ruben… and I agree, time to get with the times… just I’ve done DW/tables my whole life online, trying to get the hang of these cms/wp layouts… thx for the tip re absolute paths

by
by
by
by
by
by