592 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Ghana
IsaacA says

Hey guys,

I’m not yet a ThemeForest author, but I’m planning to study and get a university degree in Web Development soon. I know it can take a year or two (or more) before I get certified, depending on how far I want to go; but basically I’d like to take the courses online, because I can’t afford campus at the moment, and I’m also working part-time. And I live in Ghana, where their IT schools/university really don’t suit me.

I’ll be paying for my studies myself, and I’m 21 so aiming for high fees is out of the question at the moment. I’ve checked Full Sail University’s online Web Development courses, but their tuition fee’s way too high.

I’ve been looking around, and I haven’t really managed to obtain a good balance between quality courses and affordability. The more the university is recognized, the better for me… But I’d like to be able to pay straight away without making loans or borrowing…

I initially thought I could find the perfect Web Development university courses (online) for about $2,000 or $3,000, but it turns out my expectations were wrong.

Since you guys here have made it in the IT world and are having success on this awesome platform, do you think you can advise me on which university and which online course would be best for me?

My aim is to become a qualified web developer, great enough to build advanced WordPress themes, build interactive websites from scratch and create plugins (perhaps create apps as well). Looking forward to your replies :)

Thanks!

277 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
girlscancode says

Hey IsaacA,

A lot of people here are self-taught which, in my opinion, would be the greatest degree you can get. When I did my research (some more than 10 years ago, mind you) I discovered that a whole lot of these online courses (and even the “real-life” ones, on campus) are very behind with what’s going on in the real world of web development. My advice to you would be to take those $2-3000 you have and invest them in some bad-ass tutorial websites memberships. The websites that taught me about web development and web design are tutsplus, pluralsight and lynda.com. These websites also have forums where you can get in touch with teachers and people like you and exchange information and ask questions.

I realize I didn’t answer your specific question, I’m sorry for that, but this is just a glimpse of my personal experience and what I would do if I was to start over in my career :)

112 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
themespirit says

I recently saw on FB that MIT have opened up some of their course material for free viewing online.

MIT OpenCourse

I also use Treehouse to brush up on skills. Team Treehouse

Treehouse is great for tracking progression (you get awarded points and badges), and they upload new courses on a regular basis.

592 posts
  • Located in Ghana
IsaacA says

Hey IsaacA,

A lot of people here are self-taught which, in my opinion, would be the greatest degree you can get. When I did my research (some more than 10 years ago, mind you) I discovered that a whole lot of these online courses (and even the “real-life” ones, on campus) are very behind with what’s going on in the real world of web development. My advice to you would be to take those $2-3000 you have and invest them in some bad-ass tutorial websites memberships. The websites that taught me about web development and web design are tutsplus, pluralsight and lynda.com. These websites also have forums where you can get in touch with teachers and people like you and exchange information and ask questions.

I realize I didn’t answer your specific question, I’m sorry for that, but this is just a glimpse of my personal experience and what I would do if I was to start over in my career :)

Thanks for your experience. I suppose tutorial websites is a good path as well… I actually began doing this, but I felt disorganized and wanted to make sure I was in the loop, that’s why I’m targeting university courses so that I can follow their agenda and be sure I’m grabbing industry-standard techniques. But nice feedback…

563 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Slovakia
+3 more
LubosVolovar says

Hi IsaacA, I would also recommend to rather focus on tutorials and follow portals like Smashing Magazine to see what’s new in this industry. Some universities can sure help you on your path, but you can become a badass web developer without spending a cent for any online courses, because all information you need can be found all around the internet for free.

592 posts
  • Located in Ghana
IsaacA says

You guys might be right… If anyone else has other tips or experience to share, I’m all ears! I really want to make the best decision here :)

654 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Located in Australia
+7 more
simonswiss says

The problem with university courses is they have to release the syllabus in advance so the students know what they will be learning when enrolling.

By the time the course starts, some of the content is already outdated..

Tuts+ Premium and TreeHouse both over “tracks” or “guides” which propose courses in a progressive and logical way, so you can build your skill from the ground up.

Good luck, and make sure you keep coming back to these forums, the community is great!

592 posts
  • Located in Ghana
IsaacA says

The problem with university courses is they have to release the syllabus in advance so the students know what they will be learning when enrolling.

By the time the course starts, some of the content is already outdated..

Tuts+ Premium and TreeHouse both over “tracks” or “guides” which propose courses in a progressive and logical way, so you can build your skill from the ground up.

Good luck, and make sure you keep coming back to these forums, the community is great!

Sure I’ll keep coming back! And I appreciate all your feedback; they’re essential to me!

211 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
codeblvck says

I didnt think you could get a ‘university’ course specifically geared towards web development. It would probably be software engineering. Most university courses dont teach languages like html php, rather principals of programming and usually cover java and C. That is if you are talking about actual degree course(bachelors). If I were you I would go for tutorials rather than paying 1000s for a certificate for web development, because in real world that certificate will have very little value. This industry is crowded with self taught people from all backgrounds and corners of the world, producing amazing stuff.

Good luck

56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Pakistan
Nauman_19 says

believe me don’t waste your time. tuts+ , w3c school, lynda are best site’s for online learning.

by
by
by
by
by
by