317 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
kramz says

Hello Guys,

When I load one of my external swf’s into my main movie, the dynamic text I have written doesn’t show up. The text is there when I preview the external swf on its own. Now, when the swf loads into the main movie the text can’t be seen for some reason. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong and a way to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. kramz

732 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
URanimEnigma says

Is the text dynamic?

317 posts
+6 more
kramz says

Yes, its dynamic. The external movie loads the text perfect when I preview it by itself. However, when l load the movie inside my main movie the text won’t show. I’m using the loadVariablesNum function. Do I have to add something to my main movie?

732 posts
URanimEnigma says

Well… ... The only thing I can say is to check the file path. When loading a xml or .txt file into a main movie you have to treat it like you’re targeting the file path from the main directory. Could that be the problem?

317 posts
+6 more
kramz says

I don’t think that’s the problem… I have two movies, A & B.. I’m loading B into A.. When I preview B by itself works perfect and loads the dynamic text. I’m guessing, somehow it looses the path when B is loaded in A…and it looks like it doesn’t even search for it. But again, it works perfect wen i preview the swf by itself..

732 posts
URanimEnigma says

Don’t know what to tell you. I’m a noob when it comes to flash.

317 posts
+6 more
kramz says

Thanks Man, Anybody?...Please!

13 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
daperson says

Here’s something to beware of, imagine i have two movies, movie1 and movie2. Movie1 is stored at, for example, www.site.com/movie1.swf – and movie2 and www.site.com/turnips/movie2.swf. If movie2.swf have insturctions to load a file called “turnip.txt”, then it will, under testing by itself, find it happily, as turnip.txt is in it’s directory. However, once loaded into movie1.swf, it’s directory changes, so rather than looking at www.site.com/turnips/turnip.txt – it looks at www.site.com/turnip.txt, and fails to find it. Another possibility is that your dyanamic text box might be referencing a variable on _root. When i load movie2 into movie1, movie2’s _root becomes that of movie1, so it will “miss” the variable.

317 posts
+6 more
kramz says

Hello daperson, you are right. my movie2 is referencing variables on _root. This could be the problem! However, I tried deleting _root inside the reference box and previewed movie2. Now, dynamic text won’t even load inside movie2. is there another way to fix this other than taking _root out of the box?..

732 posts
URanimEnigma says

You could keep the _root target but say you’re attempting to target the variable called “thisVar” in the loaded movie. You can use an absolute path _root.loadedMovieContainer.thisVar.

What’s probably best is if you use a relative path. By using a relative path you can completely avoid all the trouble that absolute paths can give you. If you don’t know how relative paths work you could look it up in the help files. It’s really quite simple.

by
by
by
by
by
by