7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Marketengineer says
In two days I bought 2 themes : Sellya and Sell.
  1. About Support this is what Sell sells in the pages on Envato: “Excellent Support And Updates
  2. If you run into any problems with setting up or using our theme not to worry, we have a dedicated support system etc etc etc
  3. Ghostpool / ticksy : Support covers theme installation, setup and bug fixes. Unfortnately we cannot provide support for customizations or third party plugins.
  4. And changing the trouble with images will be : Just not fine.”
  5. Why doesn’t Envato / themeforest check, how well the description is before we buy something.
Two times disappointed :-( , responsible Themeforest and Envato. =====

Sell tells they use cropping with images, splendid ….. if the the photos are too big.
Both companies never heard about photo’s too small. And no, we have no control over when they are too small.
Effect for instance : images sized at 165×111 px have grown to 211×281 … rather ugly !!

Why not keep the original size when they are smaller than 211×281 ?

587 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
AlexFjord says

Because the image frame is probably dynamic so it would not work and break the layout if the images were the wrong size? What they have done is right.

7 posts
Marketengineer says

Because the image frame is probably dynamic so it would not work and break the layout if the images were the wrong size? What they have done is right.

Don’t know what you mean with a dynamic frame. In my point of view, dynamic is to fit everything from small to big. ;-)
by the way : it need not always be solved by cutting. You can also hide a surplus.

Perhaps you didn’t pickup : I agree with cropping the big one’s, my point is, leave the smaller pictures unchanged.
In my point of view : an originally splendid layout with – let’s say – 5 ugly pictures is still an ugly layout.

Last but not least : support for technical bugs is needed, because a product with technical issues isn’t a good product. Should not be saled without willing to work on.
No support for issues like bad display for smaller pictures , is a bad quality.

I’m not a professional designer, I’m an affilite marketeer, made hundreds of websites in the past 8 years, and had to deal with a lot of suppliers of products, and therefore lots of images of different sizes, but reached it perfect display.

Buy successively twice a professional design ( because of WooCommerce ) : inadequate representation guarantees a bad commercial sales result.

According to your conclusion : Themeforest and Envato should mention that every design can not handle all pictures. Buy at your own risk.

407 posts
  • Located in Europe
PaddyTaylor says

I think what Alex means is that the image frame is set to be filled. This is the best way to do it – would you really rather have some full frame sand then a few with smaller thumbnails with big blank spaces?

What the author has done is best practice and it is not their responsibility to provide the artwork or content.

7 posts
Marketengineer says

I think what Alex means is that the image frame is set to be filled. This is the best way to do it – would you really rather have some full frame sand then a few with smaller thumbnails with big blank spaces?

What the author has done is best practice and it is not their responsibility to provide the artwork or content.

If properly centered, some white space is no problem.

Do you like what I have stated in the message on top:
Effect for instance : images sized at 165×111 px have grown to 211×281 … rather ugly !!

I admit : mostly the problem is the picture in wallpaper format. But for instance there are lot’s of travelcompanies who deliver only thumbnail images, as I said 165×111 pixels = landscape and displayed as a bigger 211×281 = portrait in the Sell template .

By the way : landscape pictures is in a vacationworld common practice !!!

in fashion portrait. A designer, working with WooCommerce should have known that.

Do I have to refuse a company with nice holidays, very nice prices, very nice service, but too small images ?, I’ll give you a hint : deliver a nice price and it sells, deliver ART, and they’ll go to the next website.

:-)

your quote: ‘is not their responsibility to provide the artwork

As I said, I made a choise only for capability to run WooCommerce. And Yes, it should be a nice layout. But indeed, I don’t buy ART. Primarily it has to be functional. Point. End of story. :-)

And don’t blame me, my conclusion was to deal with a template suitable for commercial work, not art, not a MUSEUM / GALLERY, but selling mundane items, whatsoever : holiday – fashion – presents – furniture, yes : for money ;-)

And that’s not the main point, I stated, but this : “Support covers theme installation, setup and bug fixes. Unfortnately we cannot provide support for customizations
It will cost lots of time to discover where what is written in the CSS, to see where the problem can be solved. See , I didn’t make it myself. The author can, but is not willing to do so.Point 3.

587 posts
AlexFjord says

I actually agree that authors should not be allowed to advertise extensive support etc if they do not provide it.

That said this author replies quickly and has a very active support forum.

I am not sure I understand this “And that’s not the main point, I stated, but this : “Support covers theme installation, setup and bug fixes. Unfortunately we cannot provide support for customizations“ It will cost lots of time to discover where what is written in the CSS, to see where the problem can be solved. See , I didn’t make it myself. The author can, but is not willing to do so.Point 3.

So you think they should custom stuff because they know the code they created? they mention “Third party plugins” that is NOT their code so I see where they are coming from that it could take a long time to uncover.

Bottom Line.No one is “blaming” anyone. It is very simple – anyone buying from here is buying a “template” i.e. a generic design that is customisable and not to anyone specific requests. As a result it costs a minimal fraction of what it should do. If any buyer (this is NOT a personal attack) needs the template to operate in a specific way, then they may need to customise it or pay properly to have a bespoke site built from the offset.

7 posts
Marketengineer says

I actually agree that authors should not be allowed to advertise extensive support etc if they do not provide it.

That said this author replies quickly and has a very active support forum.

I am not sure I understand this “And that’s not the main point, I stated, but this : “Support covers theme installation, setup and bug fixes. Unfortunately we cannot provide support for customizations“ It will cost lots of time to discover where what is written in the CSS, to see where the problem can be solved. See , I didn’t make it myself. The author can, but is not willing to do so.Point 3.

So you think they should custom stuff because they know the code they created? they mention “Third party plugins” that is NOT their code so I see where they are coming from that it could take a long time to uncover.

Bottom Line.No one is “blaming” anyone. It is very simple – anyone buying from here is buying a “template” i.e. a generic design that is customisable and not to anyone specific requests. As a result it costs a minimal fraction of what it should do. If any buyer (this is NOT a personal attack) needs the template to operate in a specific way, then they may need to customise it or pay properly to have a bespoke site built from the offset.

your quote

is not correct.

My helpfile sais : ‘post a support ticket at http://ghostpool.ticksy.com'
On top of that page, right, everyone can read : customizations

So ….. I didn’t ask for support around third-party plugins.

But, talking about plugins :
On this page :
themeforest.net/item/sell-responsive-ecommerce-wordpress-theme/5264066?WT.ac=solid_search_thumb&WT.seg_1=solid_search_thumb&WT.z_author=GhostPool
is also the help-website mentioned below,

and – also a strange sentence – in features overview: Full UberMenu support (not included with the theme)

not included, ok, I don’t need it, because I don’t know why it should be intresting.

But …. installing the theme : UberMenu is needed otherwise the install is not completed. I had to buy it – not a worldwide dramatical issue $ 18 – but mention it in advance.
that’s how business goes at a price of 55 + 18 = $73 .

happinessengineer
happinessengineer Recent Posts Threads Started
14 posts
happinessengineer says

Hi!

I’m not sure if the other guys made it clear but in short: - What you are asking IS a customization. You may think that it’s a “must-have” feature, but it isn’t - Theme providers don’t even have to provide support, it’s really nice of them to have a good support system and help people with the basic steps - I’m just guessing now, but I think your issue is a simple CSS fix (I’ve checked their code and it looks like the images are resized via CSS) so any developer could fix that in 15 minutes for a few bucks (and NO that is not an obligation of the theme provider)

-roch

587 posts
AlexFjord says

Hi!

I’m not sure if the other guys made it clear but in short: - What you are asking IS a customization. You may think that it’s a “must-have” feature, but it isn’t - Theme providers don’t even have to provide support, it’s really nice of them to have a good support system and help people with the basic steps - I’m just guessing now, but I think your issue is a simple CSS fix (I’ve checked their code and it looks like the images are resized via CSS) so any developer could fix that in 15 minutes for a few bucks (and NO that is not an obligation of the theme provider)

-roch
EXACTLY! And even if you choose to buy UberMenu (it clearly states its not included so again the author is in the right and has done nothing wrong) so you spend $73 and lets assume you have to pay ANOTHER $100 for a developer to customise your theme then a total of $173 is still not even really 10% of what it should cost to have the site built as a custom job
7 posts
Marketengineer says

Be my guest ….. I now understand how welcome people are on this forum in Australia.
Did I attack you both ( happinessengineer | AlexFjord ) in person ?

Probably the only point of difference is, that I have a complete other idea about quality. If you guys do have another point of view on this, and clearly it is the case, well be happy with that. At least I have something to tell to the world in another part of the world. ;-)

@AlexFjord: what I mean is : if one can choose between some packages, they compare also on prices and what is offered for that price. In the case of Ubermenu the package is $ 73 to compare with others offering a complete package at the price of $ 55.= . It’s that simple.

secondly : wrote by my self, the plugin was not included, but also not absolutely indispensable. During installation it proved to be indispensable. That’s a wrong presentation. It had to be said in advance.

third : did I say that I did not want to pay for an adjustment ?
I did say, the author is not willing to assist with a customization AND THAT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT compared to your message !

I say again, see my most upper comment point 3:
Unfortnately we cannot provide support for customizations

Good to know, this kind of talking is the habbit of Envato/themeforrest.

@happinessengineer : please, read better what I said earlier
you say : “Theme providers don’t even have to provide support

The selling page mentioned:
About Support, this is what Sell sells in the pages on Envato: “Excellent Support And Updates
If you run into any problems with setting up or using our theme not to worry, we have a dedicated support system etc etc etc

That is …. before selling

And after selling:
Unfortunately we cannot provide support for customizations

happinessengineer, it’s not a “must-have” feature, it’s a promiss from before the deal was payed.
If there was no promiss, I wouldn’t buy the stuff.

Did you really think there are no designers outside Australia ? I wanted a website, based on WP all import and Woocommerce-addon. Their suggestion was : take a template from themeforest, in particular ‘Shopaholic’.
I looked into the comments and stars, seems not the best.

So, looked further and stumbled upon sellya and sell. Noted the promiss. Buyed the template.

So based on misplaced trust.
by
by
by
by
by
by