675 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
dexterous says

Hello All,

I have made a static website for one of my clients. Based on his request I made a static website (Content within the html pages) – it has a home page with flash banner and 4 more pages with a contact form (php driven) and an embedded map (similar to google map).

Now the client has asked if it is possible to migrate to a cms to easily manage the website in future.

My question to you all is – what is the best way and less time consuming way to give the solution to him. He has suggested CMS -Made-Simple to me.

Few other inputs:

Wordpress, joomla and drupal are not an option (as he doesn’t want these). And the CMS should be free. The entire website uses only two css files, built on 960 gs. there is no style defined in the pages (only class names or DIV ids)

I look forward for answers from you all.

Thanks.

329 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Albania
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Katro says
Hello All,

I have made a static website for one of my clients. Based on his request I made a static website (Content within the html pages) – it has a home page with flash banner and 4 more pages with a contact form (php driven) and an embedded map (similar to google map).

Now the client has asked if it is possible to migrate to a cms to easily manage the website in future.

My question to you all is – what is the best way and less time consuming way to give the solution to him. He has suggested CMS -Made-Simple to me.

Few other inputs:

Wordpress, joomla and drupal are not an option (as he doesn’t want these). And the CMS should be free. The entire website uses only two css files, built on 960 gs. there is no style defined in the pages (only class names or DIV ids)

Thanks.

http://surrealcms.com/

http://pagelime.com/

I think these ones will work for you!

183 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in South Africa
modernworldweb says
Hello All,

Few other inputs:

Thanks.

as much as there are easy CMSs out there, such as the ones already mentioned. If you can wordpress it, i’d say that would be the best thing to do in the long run (that’s just my opinion). But otherwise if your client isnt too bothered then go the light and easy CMS route. I’d suggest http://www.cushycms.com

all the best.

675 posts
+6 more
dexterous says

Thanks a lot guys!

I will go through these three first.

And about cushyCMS – it looks really simple, but I guess I should add one more point:

The CMS should not be a hosted solution. I mean I want to have everything on the client’s server itself (and for development and testing on my local server as well).

but thanks, I can use it for some other future projects ..

.. love this community (so quick answers.. so much knowledge)

cheers!

183 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in South Africa
modernworldweb says

.. love this community (so quick answers.. so much knowledge)

i agree 110% :)

all the best.

815 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

Don’t know if client requests something complex or not, but I’ve found this cms very interesting:

http://www.zimplit.com/index.html

I’ve played with it the other day, it’s dead simple and uses existing html :)

84 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
nathrat says
He has suggested CMS -Made-Simple to me.

I don’t really know anything about this CMS , but I’d be willing to bet that if this is what the client wanted, he’s going to be disappointed if he doesn’t get it.

You obviously know your client better than me, but if he has his heart set on that CMS , I’d probably go ahead and use it.

Somebody could argue that it’s our job as developers to guide him into the best solution, but it seems to be that he’s already rejected the best solutions. You don’t want to make more work for yourself.

Wordpress, joomla and drupal are not an option (as he doesn’t want these).
22 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
saltstream says

Be Very Careful about using ANY CMS that requires entering your FTP Username & Password into their Database. Try explain this to your client when your hosted CMS provider gets hacked.

675 posts
+6 more
dexterous says
He has suggested CMS -Made-Simple to me.

I don’t really know anything about this CMS , but I’d be willing to bet that if this is what the client wanted, he’s going to be disappointed if he doesn’t get it.

You obviously know your client better than me, but if he has his heart set on that CMS , I’d probably go ahead and use it.

Somebody could argue that it’s our job as developers to guide him into the best solution, but it seems to be that he’s already rejected the best solutions. You don’t want to make more work for yourself.

Wordpress, joomla and drupal are not an option (as he doesn’t want these).

Totally agree with you nathrat. I am now trying with the particular CMS (CMS made simple). But at the same time I will also be studying these ones which are posted here, may be they will become benefitial for me in future projects.

675 posts
+6 more
dexterous says
Be Very Careful about using ANY CMS that requires entering your FTP Username & Password into their Database. Try explain this to your client when your hosted CMS provider gets hacked.

Thanks saltstream. Will keep this mind. Hosted CMS is anyway not desired.

by
by
by
by
by
by