• Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
RafalBorowski says
Hello everyone. Just yestarday I’ve uploaded my first attempt at Themeforest. The rejection said:
Unfortunately your submission doesn’t meet our current minimum quality requirements for the category it was submitted to. Please consider taking some time to familiarize yourself with our current library and quality levels of popular items before resubmitting.

As you may imagine this was so general I don’t even know where to start the improvements. Any comments would be appreciated. BTW . Please be honest. If you think the theme sucks please tell me.

Link for the demo: http://demos.rafalborowski.com/blogfolio/

3197 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Ambassador
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Brazil
+8 more
DzincStudio says
Moved to Item Discussion
158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
greenshady says

I’d start with the body and footer copy. It’s tough to read unless you’re blessed with good eyesight.

The right arrows in the drop-down menu items on hover make me think another menu should pop out. I’d go with something different there.

The pagination design on the blog page seems a bit bland compared to the rest of the design.

61 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
RafalBorowski says

I’d start with the body and footer copy. It’s tough to read unless you’re blessed with good eyesight.

Well…. it was kinda the idea not to use the 14px/21px or 12px/18px font/line heights everyone seems to be using right now. But I agree that with the font I used it could be difficult to read to some people. I will change the font and maybe stick with 14/21.

The right arrows in the drop-down menu items on hover make me think another menu should pop out. I’d go with something different there.

I was thinking about that being a problem when I was designing it. Seems like it’s a big one. Will remove them and add only on a third level nav.

The pagination design on the blog page seems a bit bland compared to the rest of the design.

Will try to improve but there are only so many things you can do with pagination.

Thank you for suggestions. If any one have something else to add please go ahead :)

88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
marcopolo488 says

The theme looks satisfactory, but could use slightly different typography.

61 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
RafalBorowski says

The theme looks satisfactory, but could use slightly different typography.

Thank you for feedback. I still don’t get it though. I mean if they don’t want generic pages why don’t they put BIG RED SIGN on the first page saying that? Where can I find a list of items that themeforest DO want and those they DON ’t? Because the link in help support center didn’t guide me anywhere.

I’ve got back to the design. Trying to make some improvements but with the idea of a light, single-color theme that the user/cleint can upload their images/videos or other work and THAT will bring the attention and give colors it’s hard to improve for me.

Maybe I should try 18px Times new roman and a generic browser bullets. List of categories just on the middle of page done in simple ul/li and nothing else. Seen one like that accepted just few days ago. Seems like they are looking for 1996 designs.

119 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
silver530 says

You just need some improvements on typefaces.

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
greenshady says

18px Times New Roman would at least be readable. The most important part of the design is typography. If visitors must use their browser’s zoom to read a site’s content, then the site’s design has failed.

61 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
RafalBorowski says

18px Times New Roman would at least be readable. The most important part of the design is typography. If visitors must use their browser’s zoom to read a site’s content, then the site’s design has failed.
http://themeforest.net/item/smartstart-responsive-html5-template/full_screen_preview/1674915

Seems like many people like the small font. And btw – it’s 1px smaller than mine.

88 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
marcopolo488 says

I understand your frustration, but to be honest the theme looks a little unprofessional. The logo, for instance; try to make it a little more professional. You also probably should make the theme look a little darker overall, it seems a little too light. The blog description and search area make the theme look unprofessional too. I know other themes do stuff like that, but it always goes with the overall look of the theme. You should also work on your padding/spacing. And the font size on SmartStart goes with the general look of that theme. Small font sizes may or may not work, depending on the theme’s general design.

by
by
by
by
by
by