152 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

I have this problem for more than 1 year on the computer that I use at work, nobody knows what is going on and I wasn’t able to find anything on the net either.

So here’s the deal: all sites I visit that use helvetica as primary font are bugged – have a look at this screenshot how the font is rendered:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2465/screenis.jpg

The original page is here:

http://demo.monofactor.com/wordzine/category/cars/

This is a “happy” example, in some cases, the text is completely unreadable and there’s really nothing I can do, I simply can’t read the information, some weird hieroglyphs show up combined with text. The problem is related to helvetica/helvetica neue font family package. I deleted all helvetica fonts from my computer, re-installed another package that works fine on one of my mates’ machine, it does work ok for me for a while, then when I install some other random font, the bug reappears…

To add some more useful info, I use windows xp home edition and this bug shows on any browser that I have installed and if i remember correctly it does show also on virtual browsers launched with browser sandbox. At home I use a windows xp pro and the same helvetica package but the bug doesn’t show up.

Any advice about how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Starshade

146 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
0703 says

i has the same problem with my firefox and all other browsers. for example, my own page looks good bc i updated the css style ( font ) but some pages use the helvetica family and somehow its not working anymore. so all fonts looks cursive, slanted if you know what i mean.

so i had to update the fontstyling in all browsers till the serif and sanserif are shwon how i want them, but helvetica isnt working anymore. maybe a reinstalling of the os would help, but i dont want doing it now, and just for this reason…

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
fillerspace says
152 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

The issue has nothing to do with cleartype on/off. The bug shows only to helvetica font family, not to all of them. Also, formatting the os is not really a solution, I think that once you re-install the same font packages, the problem will re-appear. There seems to be a conflict between helvetica and some other font(s), wished to know what triggers it.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
fillerspace says
There seems to be a conflict between helvetica and some other font(s), wished to know what triggers it.
Why not remove all of the fonts one by one until the problem disappears. They are pretty easy to drag in and out of the /windows/fonts folder
by
by
by
by
by
by