315 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
SyamilMJ says

I wonder if that term is relevant anymore, since everyone practically knows computer, played dota, had a girlfriend on the internet you never met etc etc now so theoretically it’s a lot harder to differentiate between a geek or just an average 21st century kid.

Are you a geek, and if you are, what made you?

939 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

4chan. 21st century kid doesn’t know of 4chan, only 9gag. there are differences in the finesses.

and the geek checker: http://xkcd.com/ if you find this funny then tick “yes”

1405 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stylius says

I guess there are different types of geeks. There are computer geeks, science geeks, architecture geeks…

1181 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

I once read the a great analogy of ‘Geek’. A Geek isn’t just someone who understands computers, who appreciated comics etc. A Geek is anyone who in this era of low attention spans, actually has an interest and isn’t afraid to get excited about it.

Too many people want to hide their emotions for fear of being embarrased by them, but a ‘Geek’ will throw all that aside and just freak out over that new thing that came out in the area they love.

If you consider yourself a Geek regarding any subject, be proud of it, the only people that hand out the term ‘Geek’ as a slander are the same people who are so afraid of showing any upward or downward emotion that they’d rather be uninterested.

Love your interests, Geek out over them, and get bloody excited!! :)

53 posts
  • Philippines
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Godmachine says

Agree! :)

939 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

That definition isn’t complete. I know some Madonna fans that get overexcited with, for example, her birthday. I don’t think they are geeks, they are just obsessed. But I mostly agree with it.

324 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
NikolaSusa says

Aye – Dungeons&Dragons, MtG and similar p&p and TCGs.

315 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
SyamilMJ says

I once read the a great analogy of ‘Geek’. A Geek isn’t just someone who understands computers, who appreciated comics etc. A Geek is anyone who in this era of low attention spans, actually has an interest and isn’t afraid to get excited about it.

Too many people want to hide their emotions for fear of being embarrased by them, but a ‘Geek’ will throw all that aside and just freak out over that new thing that came out in the area they love.

If you consider yourself a Geek regarding any subject, be proud of it, the only people that hand out the term ‘Geek’ as a slander are the same people who are so afraid of showing any upward or downward emotion that they’d rather be uninterested.

I think the term “geek” can only be applied to subjects that require technical skills/knowledge of some sort, usually involving computer-related, or in the conventional age, a set of topics like comics, aliens, sci-fi movies, history etc. It can’t be applied to subjects like, for the lack of better example, sex. However deep your interest in sex must be, you can never be called a sex geek, right? :P

I think the term itself is nothing more than just another derivation of social stigma surrounding the society back in the days, rather than something that has any real definition. Nowadays being geeky can even be considered fashionable, thus you have those people they called hipsters, cool nerds etc.

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
BenSheppard says

define:geek = “A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: “a computer geek”.

324 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
NikolaSusa says

I think the term “geek” can only be applied to subjects that require technical skills/knowledge of some sort, usually involving computer-related, or in the conventional age, a set of topics like comics, aliens, sci-fi movies, history etc. It can’t be applied to subjects like, for the lack of better example, sex. However deep your interest in sex must be, you can never be called a sex geek, right? :P I think the term itself is nothing more than just another derivation of social stigma surrounding the society back in the days, rather than something that has any real definition. Nowadays being geeky can even be considered fashionable, thus you have those people they called hipsters, cool nerds etc.

They are all wannabes. For some reason it’s now cool to be a geek/nerd. Althou’ they think playing the Skyrim and watching Song of Ice and Fire (btw lame as **) tv series is ULTIMA GEEK . >.>

by
by
by
by
by
by