2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
jacksleight says

Hey, I first signed up when ThemeForest was in beta, but didn’t find any time to put anything together, however after having another look around today I think I’m gonna start creating some themes quite soon.

Regarding copyright, obviously it’s OK to include JS libraries such as jQuery, as they’re licensed appropriately, and I assume the same would go for Creative Commons licensed photography (if commercial use is allowed)? However I was reading one of the blog posts and it mentioned SIFR , which I might use, but would there be a copyright issue if you were to include the .swf file that had a font (which you don’t own the copyright to) embedded in it?

I’m assuming not, as it wouldn’t be any different from sites that sell PDFs with embedded fonts, and you probably can’t extract it out anyway, but I’d like to hear the official advice on this.

Cheers, Jack

698 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says

Good thinking there, would like to hear more about this too.

352 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

You are probably best off contacting the font’s designer. I know that some specifically ask not for their fonts to be used in this way.

However I’m sure you’ll be allowed to for any free fonts.

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Yeah – I wrote about this in yesterday’s post. You shouldn’t include the swf file unless it’s a free font.

This is somewhat of a shady area right now. There are many debates going on – since you aren’t exactly giving the font away. But, at least for now, I’d be cautious.

There are plenty of great free fonts that you can use.

171 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
clarklab says

Yea, like you said, script library seem like fair game, people write the to be used by others. A typeface is a different story. The designer who made the typeface surely wouldn’t want it given away for free; he is trying to sell it. It’d be like someone taking your templates and then turning around and selling them as part of a larger design/lot.

Overall, pay fonts beat the pants off free fonts any day, but if you search hard enough you can find some really decent free fonts. (Like the ones from exljbris )

2 posts
jacksleight says

Thanks for the clarification, I’ll steer clear of paid fonts for now then.

4908 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Free fonts are a great way to keep it easy, and not ever have to worry.

Another thing I suggest to people regarding using non-OS fonts. Is rather than including the font in with your file which would be a means of “distributing” the font…your best bet would be to use a free font in your theme and then in the description and help file provide the link where the font can be obtained.

34 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Amanda says

Personally I agree that Xdodox’s idea of linking to the download page for a free font is the best way to go. This way you can acknowledge the hard work of a free font’s author, while enabling your buyers to use the same font.

DaFont.com is always my first stop when looking for a new font. Even though on occasion I may not find the exact style I’m looking for, this site links to the font authors’ websites too where (more often than not) you may find other great fonts to use too.

Also check out Fontspace.com and http://www.vtks.com.br/freefonts.html (for some awesome free grunge styles).

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

Yea the VTKS fonts are awsesome thanks for this Amanda!

30 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+1 more
cogilium says

On the question of fonts, what’s the one used on the page title and in the footers? It’s really nice =]

by
by
by
by
by
by