58 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
modnarus says

Let me start by stating three things…

(1) The work here at FlashDen is fantastic!!! You developers and/or designers that contribute here are amazing!

(2) I am a pretty decent Flash developer myself, however I do purchase a LOT of files here because I either do not have the time to develop basic baseline functionality myself (I turn the basic core of the file into the overall effect my client is looking for…) OR, in some cases I do not have the technical expertise to do what I need.

(3) I have spent hundreds of dollars on FlashDen files and I have a hundreds more to spend on the right files with the right level of support.

Now to my point…

For those of you with files that have a price of say $20-$30 dollars, you really NEED to either seriously comment your code, provide great support docs, OR, be far more responsive to your email. Some of you are excellent at responding, but MANY others are very poor. The bottom line is, $20-$30 is not a lot of money in terms of the effort and quality of the files (which is why FlashDen is such a great business model)..HOWEVER it is the TOP price point for products on Flash Den! Therefore, in that price range you are actually providing the “Ferrari” of Flash files. As such, you need to provide that level of support for your product.

Just a thought! Now come get my money!

4909 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

In defense of the authors, and with no offense to you, the authors are not obligated by any rules, to support their files. I know this can be frustrating at times because it may be hard to work with a file. But you have to look at it in some of the author’s shoes. The file you just purchased from them, for $20 – $30, could have been made and sold to a client for, sometimes, upwards of a few thousand dollars. So when you buy a $20 file, and the author only sees a percent of that, there isn’t a high level of motivation to provide detailed support for the file, because then the time put in, equates to less money being made over time. (Providing support is work, support for free thins out the % they made off the file, for every hour they work to provide support.)

It sucks but it tends to be the catch 22 of flashden. The buyer needs help to get the file working correctly for their case, and the author is not making enough off the file to spend their free time to answer support related questions. I know that a lack of support may in turn, build a bad reputation, and may cause the author to receive less sales. So its sort of like a double-negative.

Think of it this way. You related the $20 – $30 files as the “Ferrari” of Flashden, but if you have never driven a car, and you go and buy a Ferrari, they WILL give you the car, but they wont spend money to hire a driving instructor to teach you how to drive it…especially not with 0 cost to you.

So I think if the authors provide support it should be on their terms, and buyers should be aware, that they may be buying a file, that they will have to figure out on their own.

58 posts
modnarus says

Very good point!

1246 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Greece
+4 more
zefs says

Indeed,nice reply xdozex.

4909 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Thanks (bows) hhehe, you may want to check out this new suggestion I just made…

File Support Suggestion

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

modnarus, I want your money!
I’m available for freelance work! :D :P

24 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
thesupermarket says

I totally agree with xdozex.

There are two things that make this site amazing. The first one being the quality of the work and the second being the price of that work. The prices here are well below the going market rate, which is why most of us love it. But it’s a double edged sword.

If people want more support and more comments the price of those files should go up because the authors shouldn’t do that work for free, even though most of them do. If the ‘standard’ is raised and support is expected this site will cease to be what it is. It will become what every other component/template site is out there. crap.

When I first came here I didn’t expect any support from the authors and I still don’t. I assumed, at these prices, I’m buying the file and that’s it. No support or modifications included. That said, I still feel like I’m getting an amazing deal.

If an author is selling their work for dirt cheap they shouldn’t be expected to provide support. They shouldn’t even be expected to comment it. When an author provides support and/or comments the code they are going above and beyond what is expected of them.

If an author is selling a file for 4 bucks they make 1 buck off every sale. Let’s say a buyer emails the author for support on that file, the author loses that 1 buck profit just by checking the email.

If an author spends 10 hours building something and then another hour commenting the code and then sells it for 10 bucks, making 2 bucks off it, they are getting ripped. I understand that the desirability of the file will increase sales, which in turn increases requests for support, which in turn further decreases the profit accumulated by the author. That 2 bucks can get reduced to nothing real quick.

58 posts
modnarus says

Good points all! I stand corrected!

58 posts
modnarus says

modnarus, I want your money!
I’m available for freelance work! :D :P

And I’m ready to give you my money! lol! Do you have a link to some of your work? Sorry Flash Den…not looking to cut corners here…I just need NEW ..FRESH stuff!

535 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
seifip says

Nice points doze&market!

P.S.: I’m avaible for freelance work as well ;)

Philip Seyfi, divita.eu

by
by
by
by
by
by