1560 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Very simple fact was unknown for me before today and several times I had hard time balancing with quality/size of videos trying to fit 500mb limit.

Hint is simple: never encode into Qiucktime H.264 mov directly from Adobe AE (I have CS5 .5). Quicktime application do encoding from uncompressed AVI much much very much better. With my footage I encoded today I got twice smaller h.264 MOV in Quicktime in comparison with AE when selected best options available in both cases. And visible result quality was the same. Probably because AE has one pass H.264 compression but Quitime has option for multiple pass compression.

May be this simple thing is known for most of authors but if I was not aware of it yesterday there is a chance it is helpfull for anybody else. :-)

Best Regards, Andrey

543 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
jvirgos says

well im going to test it. it could be great new. i usually encode with avid Ds, ae, media composer, and mpegstream clip and final encoded file size is similar.

348 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
andrenavarre says

I use quicktime as well, I have just noticed the same thing during my last project. I think h264 doesn’t zip much, so I don’t like to use it. Animation zips very well.

Anyone know how to limit the data rate and quality settings for exporting Animation codec from CS4 ?

1560 posts
+6 more
AndrVlad says

I use quicktime as well, I have just noticed the same thing during my last project. I think h264 doesn’t zip much, so I don’t like to use it. Animation zips very well. Anyone know how to limit the data rate and quality settings for exporting Animation codec from CS4 ?

Hi Andre !

The trick I described is not related to any adobe AE CS4 or CS5 .5(like I use). You need to export uncompressed AVI (huge file btw) and then encode by original Apple Quicktime application (activated pro $30 if I am not mistaken). I use Windows version of this app.

To tell the truth this app does not allow to change bit rate for animation (just checked) but there are still some other options for this format too and you may try to play with it. Honestly I don’t know much about Quicktime animation format but for Quicktime H.264 (which I usually prefer for quality) this aproached helped me a lot on my videos (twice smaller size! with same visible quality).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards, Andrey

154 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
SkillLine says

I think so but not always.

1560 posts
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Hey SkillLine,

How you found and why are you making really old threads back to life. :-)

Best Regards, Andrey

by
by
by
by
by
by