1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
2is3 says

Hi all,

I was wondering what you do to protect your HTML /CSS/images when hosting live demos. Have you run into any problems with this?

Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

342 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
reidknorr says

It seems that several authors are simply using the honor system, hoping that people will not illegally download their files. However, many authors are taking a few steps to prevent this by “watermarking” their images, or leaving out some elements within the code, making them only available after purchase. Hope this helps.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

I’ve been basically using the honor system but I may be looking into a way to better protect the files.

I also have a custom 404 error page on my server that will automatically shoot me an email when people are looking for something that isn’t there on my server. Twice I have gotten several 404 errors from person (not a search engine) that was trying to access quite a few of the images on a theme but spelled a few wrong. It was enough attempts that I blocked their IP address for 48 hours from my server just to be safe.

44 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
twoaz1 says

Thanks xmdsys! We’re pretty clueless at this time beyond watermarking but certainly understand that potential buyers want to see a live preview. Your solution sounds promising and will look into this. Maybe we need a new host. Hmm

578 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+6 more
ryan says

Hey guys!

You could choose to use a HTML obfucator, which there are quite a few to choose from.

This one for example (first google hit) turns it into unreadable JavaScript:

http://www.voormedia.com/en/tools/html-obfuscate-scrambler.php

That should annoy most people enough to purchase your file :) Of course they can be reversed but not unless you’re a programmer (or someone has written a reversal tool for a specific obfuscator).

We should probably put that information on the upload help page!

44 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
twoaz1 says

Gads!

Thank you ryan! We look forward to digging in!

by
by
by
by
by
by