That’s really pops! :D

4 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
sweetteajunkie says

I love this so much, but seriously.. how true is it? I think as a designer there is a reason people hire us. It is because we know what we’re doing.. they need to step back and let us do our job!

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
I love this so much, but seriously.. how true is it? I think as a designer there is a reason people hire us. It is because we know what we’re doing.. they need to step back and let us do our job!

In a perfect world, sure – I don’t tell my mechanic how to fix my transmission or give my plumber instructions on how to repair a broken pipe… but because design is something that people perceive as being “personal” to them (like clothes or makeup), they feel that it’s their right/duty to step in and take charge. This is almost always the wrong wrong wrong thing to do, which is why most major companies have art directors that bridge the gap between the “boss” and the “designer”. Sadly, this still usually doesn’t do much more than insulate the designer for a few extra weeks before the insanity sets in.

In most cases, companies should exercise what I call “content direction”, and stay out of the field of “art direction” after the initial creative brief.

382 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
blabus says

That was the single best web-related comic I have ever read. :)

“I’ve looped my mother into this conversation. She designed a bake sale flyer back in 1982, so you could say she has an ‘eye’ for design.”

:D

63 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
1Wolf1 says

Been there done that.

It’s an awfull experience that keeps happening over and over. Customers are a neccessary evil:-).

226 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • New Zealand
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Idil-Ciise says

so very true, happens all the time. hilarious comic.

16 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
davido757 says

Great stuff! As an aspiring designer and website consumer I’m afriad I’ve been guilty of some of this. Maybe not to these extremes but, again as an aspiring designer, a site I’ve ordered often ends up looking completely different than what was delivered.

But at least I don’t abuse the designer with my modifications… I do them myself!

by
by
by
by
by
by