28 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
netjmt says

I build websites with Themeforest templates. I don’t say expressively to the clients I build the whole site by myself, but I think they suppose I build it from scratch.

Have you ever had that experience of a client asking you why another site is almost similar to his site?

What to answer for this kind of situation?

Thanks.

PSD: Telling upfront the client I use themeforest is not an option.

330 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

My advise, be open and honest to them. If that’s not an option for you I’m afraid you will have to face any consequence that comes with it.

EDIT: Actually curious why it’s not an option for you…

1381 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

PSD: Telling upfront the client I use themeforest is not an option.

Then you’re deceiving your clients about what they’re paying for, and, depending on the clients you work with, you could find yourself in court.

Always play it safe, let your clients know exactly what’s happening and then you have nothing to fear.

1795 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Some guy that was using my ViewPoint contacted me and said I copied his website and sold it on ThemeForest, LOL.

He had no idea that whoever he paid for his website was using a theme/template from ThemeForest.

It was pretty funny, the whole situation.

480 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Located in United Kingdom
+3 more
FlatKing says

I don’t really see what’s wrong with telling a client that you’re using themeforest?

The template I’ll be customising for you is a pre built template that I’ve bought from a template marketplace, this means it’s cheaper for you as it doesn’t take me as much time, you’ll be paying for the customisation and any changes to the template such as limitations. – If you’d prefer a bespoke project it’ll cost x amount more and take x amount more days / weeks / months.

It’s a working relationship so you should both be able to trust each other

312 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
cosmincotor says

Some guy that was using my ViewPoint contacted me and said I copied his website and sold it on ThemeForest, LOL.

He had no idea that whoever he paid for his website was using a theme/template from ThemeForest.

It was pretty funny, the whole situation.

Lol :D

3862 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

My advise, be open and honest to them. If that’s not an option for you I’m afraid you will have to face any consequence that comes with it.

+1 – why is not an option?

As FlatKing said its perfectly justifiable and I imagine the vast majority of customers would understand, unless they are specifically asking for a bespoke project in which case you should not be using a theme form here.

112 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Europe
Vlajki says

Because he/she charges a lot more saying that it was coded from scratch. You would be surprised to know that many small web design agencies do this with inexperienced customers who just want a website for their products or services. Sad, but true.

585 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
AlexFjord says

Because he/she charges a lot more saying that it was coded from scratch. You would be surprised to know that many small web design agencies do this with inexperienced customers who just want a website for their products or services. Sad, but true.
Unfortunately that is most likely the reason – I have even seen agencies working with quite big brands doing it.
28 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
netjmt says

I tell my clients about frameworks and the benefits of it. I just don’t tell them that there are hundred of premade designs made and that cuts a lot of my work. Anyway, because of this, I can really focus on building the content and image editing, rather than spending countless hours on the inside code.

Why is not an option? Simply, because here in my country most of the clients wants the things very cheap and if I show them the source of the designs I might lose them. So cheap clients, that I’m sure some of them will tell some of their nephews to do it.

Anyway, I’ve told some of my best clients that they can choose whatever theme here. I also tell my fellow designers who still uses Dreamweaver or self-made html sites, that this site exists.

I also think that the template and the final result of the client, should always be very different. I always try to use the template only as a mere skeleton where I can sew the skin.

by
by
by
by
by
by