112 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Vlajki says

But you probably charge like you coded it from scratch, am I right?

3680 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

Would the best option not be to use a WP framework? That way you can justify your charges better, concentrate utterly on “content and images”, importantly as you said it will be “different” and more bespoke for each client based on their needs rather than being clogged up with code they don’t need; and you wont end up with a site hundreds or thousands of others have and

568 posts
AlexFjord says

In this scenario you should be telling clients that you are using a theme and that you are charging for professional content, UX, design etc services.

NOT AIMED AT YOUR CASE – the worst type of people are those who “mis lead” “forget to mention” etc for whatever reasons that they are using someone else’s code and then if there is a bug cannot fix it – this is where they look really stupid and when their customer gets let down the worst.

As an agency we do not touch sites under 15K (we work with larger brands), and as a favour to our client’s wife we offered to fix her situation last week She had been charges 7.5K for a TF theme, and the “developer” (I use that VERY loosely) could not change some of the javascript and media queries to meet her requirements – that kind of scenario is not only disgusting and a disgrace (and I am sure it happens on here a lot), but this process, for whatever the local costs/reasons/budgets is why people with less experience do not understand what goes into proper development, creating these themes and end up with misguided opinions of what professional developers do and the value of the work.

568 posts
AlexFjord says
By the way

I tell my clients about frameworks and the benefits of it. I just don’t tell them that there are hundred of premade designs made and that cuts a lot of my work.

So they still think the same amount of work is going into it?

What exactly are the benefits of frameworks etc for the client other than to ensure better quality code than you can write as a developer or cut your workload and therefore their bill?
407 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
PaddyTaylor says

By the way

What exactly are the benefits of frameworks etc for the client other than to ensure better quality code than you can write as a developer or cut your workload and therefore their bill?

+1 I would like to know this too

26 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
KomiDesign says

EDIT: Actually curious why it’s not an option for you…
Because he/she charges a lot more saying that it was coded from scratch. You would be surprised to know that many small web design agencies do this with inexperienced customers who just want a website for their products or services. Sad, but true.

True but on the other hand if you will tell your client that you paid 10$ for a template ,how much do you expect to charge him? :)

407 posts
  • Europe
PaddyTaylor says

EDIT: Actually curious why it’s not an option for you…
Because he/she charges a lot more saying that it was coded from scratch. You would be surprised to know that many small web design agencies do this with inexperienced customers who just want a website for their products or services. Sad, but true.
True but on the other hand if you will tell your client that you paid 10$ for a template ,how much do you expect to charge him? :)

A fair rate for the work involved to customise it….thats perfectly justifiable.

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

PSD: Telling upfront the client I use themeforest is not an option.

Then you’re deceiving your clients about what they’re paying for, and, depending on the clients you work with, you could find yourself in court.

Always play it safe, let your clients know exactly what’s happening and then you have nothing to fear.

+1, you should disclose to your clients that you’re using a theme or template as a base for their site. Deceiving them isn’t good business, and will come back and bite you — as it already has.

906 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
greenline says

...You would be surprised to know that many small web design agencies do this with inexperienced customers who just want a website for their products or services. Sad, but true.

LOL I recently had the same experience.

I made a website for a friend, based on a TF theme (he knew I’ll use this theme and he was fine with that)

Then, one day, he receives an email from an angry guy who tells him that the website is a copy of his new shinny website, made for him by a small agency for 300$

So…. my friend told that guy that the agency lied to him and they used in fact a template with …1500 sales (LOL) ...so it’s a huge chance that other 1500 people in the world have the same website.

He was mad, angry, etc. Finally, he contacted the agency again and requested a unique design, otherwise they see each other in the court. The agency then requested 400$ extra to build a unique design. The guy refused… so they are in court now…

The lesson? Small agencies do that. Unfortunately. ...

The solution? Exclusive licenses for themes….

Why agencies don’t tell clients that they use templates? Because many agencies buy a ONE regular license of the theme and they use it over and over again for multiple websites – which is forbidden according to Envato terms…

491 posts Code is Poetry
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
egemenerd says

PSD: Telling upfront the client I use themeforest is not an option.

Then you’re deceiving your clients about what they’re paying for, and, depending on the clients you work with, you could find yourself in court.

Always play it safe, let your clients know exactly what’s happening and then you have nothing to fear.
+1, you should disclose to your clients that you’re using a theme or template as a base for their site. Deceiving them isn’t good business, and will come back and bite you — as it already has.

I agree. Why you don’t give them the chance to choice? Create two package. For example;

Standard: You can select your website design from Themeforest and I will do the rest = 300 dollar

Premium: Tell me what you want, I will create a unique website for you = 3000 dollar

by
by
by
by
by
by