• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
Couldn’t agree more, would also love to see an FAQ tab on the product pages themselves, hopefully will be included in the redesign. It’s funny I get a lot of emails with questions that can solved by just reviewing my documentation but I guess some people don’t like to read directions.

Hey, that’s a great idea – You can edit/drop in new information via the same paradigm as the item description. Someone make this one… like now.

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
I think there should be a support package that the user can purchase with your theme, that way everyone wins.

Mmmm… this frightens me. Allowing users to buy support (presumably for a fee that’s cheaper than the file itself) gives the feeling of entitlement to buyers. Right now my support is free and un-required, so my buyers love me for it even if it takes a day or two to reply. The moment they’ve paid $X dollars for it, they will resent every passing minute it takes me to respond.

-1 to this idea, but I like the theory behind it.

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
I think there should be a support package that the user can purchase with your theme, that way everyone wins.

+1000 on that. And then they can rate the support.

Wait on second thought, buyers may also interpret that as if they can ask for theme customization with this though. And if we don’t, there comes their refund requests. Naah, -100000000 lol

My thoughts exactly. There’s just too much room for ambiguity and abuse with the notion of a support package. It might be fine for products with less than 40 sales, but expand that to 300 and you’re screwed by your own success. Plus – where is the accountability – what if authors sell a support package but never follow up on it? TF doesn’t do the refund thing, and a separate rating system seems silly.

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Thus ends my thoughts on this thread so far, haha – this is a really interesting topic, sorry for spamming the board!

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Ehh – not a fan of an author support package for an additional fee. As we can’t specifically regulate this, it would be a support nightmare – on our part.

630 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says
Mmmm… this frightens me. Allowing users to buy support (presumably for a fee that’s cheaper than the file itself) gives the feeling of entitlement to buyers. Right now my support is free and un-required, so my buyers love me for it even if it takes a day or two to reply. The moment they’ve paid $X dollars for it, they will resent every passing minute it takes me to respond. -1 to this idea, but I like the theory behind it.

+1 If you start charging for support people are going to basically expect a tuning service. I still think the best solution is for the creator to think of his work in the most simplistic way, what is your average Joe going to get stuck on? For example, take a look at my latest headcahe – http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/flash-url-error-simple-if-you-know-how/16409?page=1#148654 that’s probably so easy for a flash guy yet a nightmare for me.

It’s not that people can’t be bothered to read the help file, it’s just that some just don’t understand it. Maybe we could all chip in to make a few articles, have Envato host them and then link to them within our help files.

If we go back to my original rant; I was stuck on a dynamic flash theme that involves a lot of very techy stuff (how do I stop the gallery auto-resizing my images etc). I admit I was out of my league – I’m more a graphics guy/html editor than flash but if there were a plain English article about that I would have read it and not hassled the author because that way I get my answer faster.

by
by
by
by
by
by