1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

I think a little flashmovie with all features is the best way to protecct your files… but if I was a buyer i would prefer a livepreview.

(Yea first post on site two! :D)

364 posts Onuro
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeKioken says

I personally think unless your theme is for an engine like Joomla or Wordpress, it is a high risk of the viewer to “save as” your work and use it without purchasing.

I have my two templates which I REALLY want to put on live preview. But then I know then the sales will %50 downgrade because when bought, those 2 are already html and the psd files.

I will not put up live previews for my items untill I feel safe about this matter.

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

onuru – I think your 50% estimate is inaccurate. This is unfortunately something that we’ll have to live with. I would recommend that you pack your Javascript files and watermark your images.

But as one of the previous people said, if somebody wants it bad enough, they’ll get it.

Theft is an issue in almost every industry. Imagine if Adobe stopped selling Photoshop because 5% of the people illegally download it.

JW

1799 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
BroOf says

I can’t decide which protecting form I should use… I mean there aren’t only “good” people and if you have a revolutionary idea and someone stoles it, it would be so depressing.

364 posts Onuro
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeKioken says

Jeffrey, You’re totally making the point with Adobe sample. But if somehow my work is ripped with ease and when it comes to my own effort, I’m sure it will be depressing for me, like BroOf said.

My “save as” term was deliberate. I mean anyone who is passionate for ripping the whole work can do it at the end, but surely he will end up with a horrible cracked imitation of it.

But it’s always easier to save the preview file with the assets and all you will need to do is change the header graphic and logo. Voila, the work is easily ripped in 2 steps.

I’m always watermarking the visual items I create, but when it comes to the html templates category, I’m assuming we need to use obfuscator or tools similar to that.

I always look more positive about this when the items are for wordpress or dynamic content management systems because the ripper will have to work pretty hard and buying the item for a couple of bucks is way easier. It’s not the same for the HTML templates.

Enough said, maybe It’s me being a little paranoid but eventually, we all need our copyright protected right?=)

698 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says
I think you have to trust that people are typically “good” – in this respect.

Yes! That’s about it.

by
by
by
by
by
by