121 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • India
rabidflash says

hey all, So, here’s the situation: I’m having a friendly argument with my friends on how flash has a overall declining presence on web and how html5 is going to be the future and I want to provide the sales of activeden and codecanyon/themeforest as a point in the argument. There’s surely a huge imbalance in both these marketplaces.

So, do you guys think that envato sales are big enough for me to make such an argument??

P.S I don’t hate flash technologies…infact, I’ve been working for past 6 years in them. But I seriously think that it’s time to move on. So, please no flaming.

985 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
purethemes says
just compare numbers here http://themeforest.net/page/top_sellers http://activeden.net/page/top_sellers

there’s even nothing to argue about

121 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • India
rabidflash says

Thanks but I know about those pages already. What I’m really asking is how big are the envato market places to consider it’s sales as a general trend in the entire web/ enterprise world. My friend says the marketplaces in general aren’t big enough to consider their sales as a measuring stone.

3069 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

One thing is clear, Flash is now used for audio/video player fallback, private areas where advanced streaming is required + some banners and animations. I would say… it’s at 5% popularity from what it was 2 years ago. :)

1660 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+4 more
flashedge says

Stock market for Flash is pretty much a lost bet, now. All due the Apple Propaganda. They managed to bend the whole web for their toys. If this was good or bad, you decide.

Flash is still used for advertising banners, interactive minisites and alternative solution where HTML5 is still not capable to offer. I believe it’s still the most powerful tool when it comes to deliver rich media experiences.

Who knows, maybe one day we’ll see it rise again. Fact is that being a Flasher is a state of mind: breaking rules and innovate yourself everytime you do something, despite the tool you’re using.

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

From my experience, I guess following 2 facts are enough proof that the sales trend on here reflects industry change:

- 4 years back many of my clients pointed link to flashden (AD) to show example pieces. So I was diverted to here from many clients as well as while searching for components for myself. It was the peak time of Flash.

- From my 4 years observation, sales decline (on AD) happened only after iPad release and its consequences.

So yeah, although it may not represent exact graph of industry change, it definitely gives rough idea about what is going on. You know sometimes it even reflects the official holidays.

Btw, definitely it is time to switch into something else, don’t waste time.

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Stock market for Flash is pretty much a lost bet, now. All due the Apple Propaganda. They managed to bend the whole web for their toys. If this was good or bad, you decide.

Nah, flash is just not cool anymore. Flash sites were overworked and overdesigned – of course, if they worked past the infamous splash page. This is the opposite of the big humanity trend we have these days, just look at Microsoft Surface, Diablo 3, etc., all these new products shows the strong trend in streamlining and simplifying everything. Wonder who started it ;) Flash is definitely on a steep decline as well as it’s competition and similar products.

The same is coming for WordPress because there is a big segment who uses WordPress only because it’s the most popular and familiar product for everybody, but what they build on top of it does not feel like WordPress site -> this segment will move somewhere else eventually, but we have yet to find out where. Just make sure you don’t sleep over the transition like many of the Flash developers.

3432 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Nah, flash is just not cool anymore. Flash sites were overworked and overdesigned – of course, if they worked past the infamous splash page.
You are really ignorant to say this. Just look at the fwa’s! I haven’t seen an HTML site that is at least a half amazing as a flash site could be.

Of course it’s declining, but it’s still years ahead of HTML5 + CSS3 + JS! You have three bad technologies just to substitute an amazing one! :D Yeah..that’s the future :D

All “developers” are fancying around that they can do cool stuff in HTML5 , but they forget that that cool stuff was possible 10 years ago with Flash :D But hey..HTML is the future! :D

Stupid Apple!

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Nah, flash is just not cool anymore. Flash sites were overworked and overdesigned – of course, if they worked past the infamous splash page. This is the opposite of the big humanity trend we have these days…

You are correct but we can still notice full html sites started following Flash website’s unique foot prints. There are certain areas where customer question goes this way:

“I like this but need to display the same on iPad.”

In the near future, we can see many “Flash like” sites revolving around but with huge amount of time spent on production with less smoothness and performance. Finally, the web designers are the only ones who gets affected due to browser and device inconsistencies.

1864 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Nah, flash is just not cool anymore. Flash sites were overworked and overdesigned – of course, if they worked past the infamous splash page.
You are really ignorant to say this. Just look at the fwa’s! I haven’t seen an HTML site that is at least a half amazing as a flash site could be.

Of course it’s declining, but it’s still years ahead of HTML5 + CSS3 + JS! You have three bad technologies just to substitute an amazing one! :D Yeah..that’s the future :D

All “developers” are fancying around that they can do cool stuff in HTML5 , but they forget that that cool stuff was possible 10 years ago with Flash :D But hey..HTML is the future! :D

Stupid Apple!

lol, and how many fwa winning, talented developers are in the world, really? Flash was also constantly abused by amateurs because of the drag and drop possibility and overall WYSIWYG . Plus everything was made in key-frames, therefore over-designing and over-animating naturally occurred.

Yes, some flash sites were indeed amazing, but was the huge amount of effort and knowledge put into them really necessary? Or at least as necessary for Flash to survive? I guess no, because it’s on decline. Maybe the inertia of dotcom bubble allowed to finance these polished massive Flash sites, but everybody is short on money and revenue now.

Just because there is HTML5 , CSS3 and JS, that does not mean we are going to use it. I personally just need a few lines from each of them and that’s it. Also we are not required to use these advanced technologies and we can rely solely on easy XHTML /CSS to build nice enough sites accepted by the currently ongoing trend, especially with big growth in the number of mobile devices and their wide spectrum of specifications.

by
by
by
by
by
by