6029 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Adobe also contribute a huge part to the declined use of Flash. They were clueless for many years and may just be the worst thing that happened to Flash. But hey it’s all the past now, time to move on.
Well, many of my friends still doesn’t agree with ‘moving on’. Mind you, none of them are into free lancing or general web-development. They’re all into enterprise app development and many use LCDS and such services and say HTML5 /JS/css3 combo is still lacking in features and security. They say that there’s still huge market for flash and will remain so for a long time in future.

Yeah, Flash is still living in small sectors out of web but for a web designer, it is no doubt Flash came to an end as mobile/tablet covers most of the portion.

Last month, I was talked with my old friend who works on an MNC as Flex developer. I asked him if he had switched to something else. The answer was horrible, he not even knows something happened to Flash after iPad and still thinks Flash is going as usual! :D

4140 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

Adobe also contribute a huge part to the declined use of Flash. They were clueless for many years and may just be the worst thing that happened to Flash. But hey it’s all the past now, time to move on.
Well, many of my friends still doesn’t agree with ‘moving on’. Mind you, none of them are into free lancing or general web-development. They’re all into enterprise app development and many use LCDS and such services and say HTML5 /JS/css3 combo is still lacking in features and security. They say that there’s still huge market for flash and will remain so for a long time in future.
You live in the past you are in love with the idea but it’s not the realty, look around most of the flasher here say the same thing
4678 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

I will tell you one thing, with touchscreen technology, you could create a far more engaging experience with Flash than any other technology. The fact is no other technology can do what Flash can at present in terms of creative engaging experience, until that time I wouldn’t say Flash is dead. Only thing holding it back for now is the lack of mobile devices support, but that is very new technology which only has one company controlling the market. So it would not make sense to base the fate of Flash on what is happening currently. When more tablet competitors come out, and the technology improves, I predict Flash will become popular again. Time will tell. Guys who have used HTML for years have always hated Flash. The concept of movie clips and a timeline is foreign to them. Also Flash is a creative tool, so you need to be somewhat creative, so your traditional HTML coder would struggle with this, like drawing vectors, animating, working with sound etc. A true Flasher has the ability to mix good design, animation with complex coding…. a blending of two worlds creating a singular powerful engaging experience – when Flash was popular these guys were sort after. So there are many that want to see it’s demise and push HTML5 as the replacement, and revert back to the world where code monkeys rule the web, and designers make things look pretty. But we are not seeing HTML5 doing what Flash can yet, so we shall see what happens.

6029 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

^ Those are all known facts but we practically depend on Adobe’s movement to make decisions. They conveyed enough message and it is “they no longer going to develop Flash for Mobile Web”. And secondly they lost their developer base and in the future it is very difficult for them to create trust and pull enough developers.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

+ they even dropped support for platforms they supported in the past (like linux) so there won’t be any flash comeback. Many thanks to apple fud and to adobe itself for not giving a f**k where something could still be done.

4140 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

^Don’t get me wrong bro` you still use linux? I thought you got over it :P .

Nice to see you, i almost forgot about you … :P

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says
While Adobe is working on releases for 2012, including 11.2 and the subsequent 2012 release, we are also modernizing the Flash runtime’s code base in order to ensure that the Flash runtimes meet the needs of developers over the next five to 10 years. This work is referred to in this document as Flash Player and ActionScript “Next”.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html
4678 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

^ Those are all known facts but we practically depend on Adobe’s movement to make decisions. They conveyed enough message and it is “they no longer going to develop Flash for Mobile Web”. And secondly they lost their developer base and in the future it is very difficult for them to create trust and pull enough developers.

It makes sense why they not developing for Mobile devices and I don’t think that means they are saying that Flash is going to die. Think of it this way, Flash on mobile phones is a lost cause, because the screen is just too small, you need a simplified version of a webpage to view it on that screen size, so using Flash does not make sense. Tablet technology is a different story, they don’t need to create a mobile support for it, because tablets will in the future run like desktop computers and can just use the standard plugin. Look at Microsoft surface, it runs like a standard PC. Only Apple is causing a problem not supporting Flash, but give sometime for competitors to surface and if those competitors make an impact, and the technology of tablets improves, it’s possible Flash will be supported on Apple tablets. Look how the technology has progressed on mobile phones.. 10 years ago we wouldn’t have thought we could view the internet on our phones. To say tablets in the future won’t run like normal desktops in a few years from now would be foolish, so then why say Flash wont be around then. Websites of the future could have a Flash version, running on touchscreen tablets and desktops, and then a simplified version in HTML5 for small screen devices like mobile phones.

1677 posts Envato Elite Author
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Tean says

It makes sense why they not developing for Mobile devices and I don’t think that means they are saying that Flash is going to die. Think of it this way, Flash on mobile phones is a lost cause, because the screen is just too small, you need a simplified version of a webpage to view it on that screen size, so using Flash does not make sense. Tablet technology is a different story, they don’t need to create a mobile support for it, because tablets will in the future run like desktop computers and can just use the standard plugin. Look at Microsoft surface, it runs like a standard PC. Only Apple is causing a problem not supporting Flash, but give sometime for competitors to surface and if those competitors make an impact, and the technology of tablets improves. It’s highly likely Flash will be supports on Apple tablets. Look how the technology has progressed on mobile phones.. 10 years ago we wouldn’t have thought we could view the internet on our phones. To say tablets in the future won’t run like normal desktops in a few years from now would be foolish, so then why say Flash wont be around then. Websites of the future could have a Flash version, running on touchscreen tablets and desktops, and then a simplified version in HTML5 for small screen devices like mobile phones.

Except this has nothing to do with lack of performance on mobile, but the fact flash is not a “standard”.

4678 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

It makes sense why they not developing for Mobile devices and I don’t think that means they are saying that Flash is going to die. Think of it this way, Flash on mobile phones is a lost cause, because the screen is just too small, you need a simplified version of a webpage to view it on that screen size, so using Flash does not make sense. Tablet technology is a different story, they don’t need to create a mobile support for it, because tablets will in the future run like desktop computers and can just use the standard plugin. Look at Microsoft surface, it runs like a standard PC. Only Apple is causing a problem not supporting Flash, but give sometime for competitors to surface and if those competitors make an impact, and the technology of tablets improves. It’s highly likely Flash will be supports on Apple tablets. Look how the technology has progressed on mobile phones.. 10 years ago we wouldn’t have thought we could view the internet on our phones. To say tablets in the future won’t run like normal desktops in a few years from now would be foolish, so then why say Flash wont be around then. Websites of the future could have a Flash version, running on touchscreen tablets and desktops, and then a simplified version in HTML5 for small screen devices like mobile phones.
Except this has nothing to do with lack of performance on mobile, but the fact flash is not a “standard”.

What I said there has everything to do with lack of performance, I mentioned that tablet technology will improve in the future, ie performance of Flash will improve and thus make Flash supported. Also Flash has never been a “standard” HTML is the standard, Flash is a plugin. It’s now just not being supported like it use to because of one company and one type of device. Do you think Apple in the future will be the only company dominating the tablet sector? Nope, there will always be other competitors, like computers, phones, portable mp3 players, Apple will never completely control one type of device, therefor they will never be able to decide the fate of Flash, the market will decide. As long as Flash is the best solution for creative engaging experiances, then it still has its foot in the door ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by