2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

we are also modernizing the Flash runtime’s code base in order to ensure that the Flash runtimes meet the needs of developers over the next five to 10 years.
obviously not considering the fact that, in the next 5 to 10 years, there won’t be any flash dev nor user left to take advantage of those new amazing features.
4140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

^ Those are all known facts but we practically depend on Adobe’s movement to make decisions. They conveyed enough message and it is “they no longer going to develop Flash for Mobile Web”. And secondly they lost their developer base and in the future it is very difficult for them to create trust and pull enough developers.
It makes sense why they not developing for Mobile devices
Sorry to tell you this but this is a weak argument, apple says its buggy and battery consuming, fact is Air is worst on the battery level then flash and they don’t have a problem to block Air. And any way with html you going with responsive layouts any way and you can do the same with flash fully web for mobile under 150-200 kb .

Ill take Tean argument saying flash is not a standard and bitfade saying next 5 to 10 years, there won’t be any flash dev

4641 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

we are also modernizing the Flash runtime’s code base in order to ensure that the Flash runtimes meet the needs of developers over the next five to 10 years.
obviously not considering the fact that, in the next 5 to 10 years, there won’t be any flash dev nor user left to take advantage of those new amazing features.

If 2 years from now Flash could run on all tablets, would this change this statement? Also if we speak of Flash development, it’s almost like talking about the one half of Flash, the scripting side. What about the other side of Flash as a creative, animation tool for vectors. Animators will always be around. Flash can always be used to create vector animations for videos, or use Flash for standalone touchscreen displays. I think the mind set of saying Flash is a development tool is wrong, because its far more than just scripting. It will always be foremost used by animators and designers, when AS3 came out, a lot of traditional coders hopped onto the Flash bandwagon since to was now seen as a development tool. But if Flash wont be supported on mobile devices in the future, it will always be used by creative designers as an animation tool, so I don’t think it’s user base would be killed off ever. What other program can create vector animations like Flash can, nothing..

5978 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

DS, there is a room for Flash but the question is how much safe it is for developers. If you believe mobile/tablet web will accept Flash after 2 years, do you wait for those 2 years? Personally I won’t retun back to Flash even if it gains momentum in the future, simply because of Adobe’s past records. (In case it moves into different hands such as google, that makes sense)

We can assume many things but to make a decision, assumptions no longer going to help. We depend on recent past’s observations.

1677 posts Envato Elite Author
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Tean says

What I meant is the main reason against flash was not being a standard.

It doenst matter how it runs on mobile, you wont get it back.

4641 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

DS, there is a room for Flash but the question is how much safe it is for developers. If you believe mobile/tablet web will accept Flash after 2 years, do you wait for those 2 years? We can assume many things but to take a decision, assumptions no longer going to help. We depend on recent past’s observations.

When I see an HTML5 site that can do what Flash can, a rich engaging experience, with sound and atmosphere, that pulls you in, then I would say stop working with Flash. But say in 2 years from now Microsoft surface and other tablets are more popular than iPad, and big corporate company’s want to create engaging web experiences, like the sites we use to see on the FWA .. then Flash will be right at the forefront. Flash is a technology that can already create that engaging web experience. Touchscreen technology and Flash would be an awesome web experience, so why not use it if it can be supported in the future. It’s just one type of device and one company causing the issue with Flash at present, in time things will change.

5978 posts
+8 more
VF says

^ When Microsoft announced Win8 Metro won’t come with FP installed, these kind of hopes relaxed. So I would suggest don’t depend on these companies decisions! :D

Secondly as developers when we try to make a switch, we will need reasonable time for learning. So no room for assumptions! :D

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

^ When Microsoft announced Win8 Metro won’t come with FP installed, these kind of hopes relaxed. So I would suggest don’t depend these companies decisions! :D
Read the roadmap I linked before. It will run in Metro.
4641 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

Remember HTML5 can’t do:

Handle 3D like paper-vision
Complex animation with vectors and not run incredibly slow
Filter effects, like blur, glow etc
Blending modes, like overlay, dodge etc
And probably alot of other things I can’t think of right now :D

So what do you think will happen first, HTML5 will catch up and be able to do all these things and replace Flash, OR tablet technology will improve and be able to support Flash. Most likely the latter.

Also when HTML5 can do things like this http://ecodazoo.com/ then I’d be worried. Now imagine running sites like that, on an iPad with touch, why Apple WHY ? haha We should not forget the awesome web experiences that were created with Flash, and are severely lacking in HTML5 now. And with touch screen technology, using your hands to interact with the content, why not use a powerful program like Flash to create that engaging experience. HTML5 just can’t do that yet FACT .

5978 posts
+8 more
VF says

^ When Microsoft announced Win8 Metro won’t come with FP installed, these kind of hopes relaxed. So I would suggest don’t depend these companies decisions! :D
Read the roadmap I linked before. It will run in Metro.

I know they reversed their decisions but that first announcement still leaves the “doubtfulness” for ever. I think we are coming to the same old topics discussed an year back.

We repeatedly talking about the capabilities. I am saying that doesn’t matter from recent past’s observations.

by
by
by
by
by
by