• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

What will you do with the ones that will steal just the concept and improve it until they get a slightly different product, better than yours? You can’t win because there’s no rule on the internet for that.

It’s like preventing someone to use sliders because you have one in your theme as well or asking TF to disable the support for something just because your theme has that. Even if you develop an awesome slider, someone will take the idea, code it from 0 and get something even better, there’s nothing you can do about it. That’s the market.

1644 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says
I know these things (the example with Samsung and Apple) but
  • if they come with my code, they’re down (one item is down alright, and the author never posted my code again)
  • if they come with my design concept and / or animations I WILL DO MY BEST TO TAKE THEM DOWN.

Just like that.

454 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
Gareth_Gillman says

DNP you sound like a spoilt child “It’s my toy, you’re not playing with it”... etc

The whole design world is built on copying, look at the Apple Vs Samsung court case as a source for this.

You cannot prove 100% the design ideas are your own, the animations styles are your own, so is there really any point fretting about it?

If they copy like for like, hit them with a dmca.

IMHO you’re not going to get many copies, plagarisers are more than likely to copy huge selling, trend setting ideas (ipad vs galaxy tab) rather than the smaller selling, better designed styles (Orman Clark is one author which this applies, you don’t see a huge amount of copying of his themes but you do see a lot of copying for the more generic styles).

Remember, copying someone is the first sign of flattery.

307 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
NikolaSusa says

To be fair you can’t copyright webdesign. You can’t copyright color, simple shape(unless you’re apple), position of menu etc.

You were also, weather you like it or not, inspired by someones design.

3118 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

To be fair you can’t copyright webdesign. You can’t copyright color, simple shape(unless you’re apple), position of menu etc.

You were also, weather you like it or not, inspired by someones design.

you cant even copyright generic animations, you can try to patent them but most get turned down or will get rejected if ever taken to court

13 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
GajahModo says

DNP you sound like a spoilt child “It’s my toy, you’re not playing with it”... etc

+1

Just for example from the real world – Did you know isotope was inspired by (and made exact clone of the concept) Quicksand. But Desandro make it more perfect, ease to use, way better than quicksand.

Grow up!

812 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Serbia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
rvision_ says

Use myows.com to protect your work.

No offense dnp, but I can’t see any “original” work in your themes. To be more precise, most of them look the same to me.

You won’t, javascript and php code are all under GPL license, everyone can copy them and you won’t be able to do a thing about it.

No it’s not. PHP is GPL, javascript & css is not.

1960 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
mafloral says

Hey Danny, you got some cool themes man. I agree with you 100% but we have a bigger problem than authors stealing your code, we have a thing called Wah-rez you know what i mean? These people steal work everyday 100-1000 times and we cannot really do anything about it. If someone takes your code and uses it on their file well it’s obvious that is not right and you have all the power to complain.

Cheers

Lester

1644 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

Hey Danny, you got some cool themes man. I agree with you 100% but we have a bigger problem than authors stealing your code, we have a thing called Wah-rez you know what i mean? These people steal work everyday 100-1000 times and we cannot really do anything about it. If someone takes your code and uses it on their file well it’s obvious that is not right and you have all the power to complain.

Cheers

Lester

There are solutions for all problems. The answer here is unity in copyright infringement battles and individuality in design. Those with no or little experience speak like sheeples. That’s ok.

894 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
infuse01 says

I’m sure with this attitue you’ll get all authors on your side and unite them. Everybody else is a sheeple, right? :S

You’re right – for EVERY Problem there is a solution. And for this problem the solution has been mentioned all over this thread. I introduced you that solution but you starten to threaten me and become personal. Anyway, it hasn’t been long as I had the same idea as you about unite the authors, go together against copyright violation, make some kind of author network or similar – but in the end I came to the same conclusion as most of us here: There is not much you can do, it is a fight against the internet itself. Of course you can try it with methods like encoding and compressing your code but I wouldn’t call that a “solution”, and it is even harder with designs, color combinations, shapes, layouts.

On this planet, in this time – there is NO Solution which works in this case. It is as simple as you go.

Should I say now that in case you don’t understand that you’re simply clueless? erm…no, wouldn’t do that.

by
by
by
by
by
by