• Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
smudgethis says

I just got this comment on my profile…

“Hello,

I wanted to have a promo for my website and I brought this. I thought I will get some executable file which I can run by update text to produce a nice video. But I don’t see anything. I have a windows operating system. Please can you let me know how I can proceed ? What are the requirements for running your application. Sorry I am complete newbie in this ? I just just brought this and unzipped and unable to proceed further. Even a video shows some kind of editor which I don’t have. Please provide some info. If this is not possible, Is it possible for refund. Please reply”

This led me to thinking, how obvious is it to buyers that what people are buying is in fact not a stand alone application but a template that requires a specific piece of software (i.e. After Effects) to customise.

To us as authors it must seem so obvious that the above message might even raise a smile but if you have no prior knowledge of motion graphics and want to create a video without the experience or education on the subject, is it clear that you need Adobe After Effects to edit and render the templates available on this site?

Thoughts?

149 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
didgi says

hi,

yes,i know what you mean.The same thing happened to me a couple of times now. Well,i don’t know really what to say there but in my opinion, it’s more than obvious when you buy an After Effects template here.You need Æ because the category is called ‘After Effects Project Files’.

..........but if you have no prior knowledge of motion graphics and want to create a video without the experience or education on the subject, is it clear that you need Adobe After Effects to edit and render the templates available on this site?

.....then you need to read the file description even more carefully or contact the Author before purchasing.

131 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
maupa says

I’ve got over 10 of this emails in the last 12 months on my black 3d logo. The fiirst time I was shocked. Now I offer them an custom rendering for 500 dollar and never get an answer. This is the best way for me. :) maupa

1817 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
Mocarg Moderator says

I’ve got over 10 of this emails in the last 12 months on my black 3d logo. The fiirst time I was shocked. Now I offer them an custom rendering for 500 dollar and never get an answer. This is the best way for me. :) maupa

This is a bit harsh isn’t it?

511 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
5p1r17 says

I do the same way :D Now I know, I’m not alone, who do like that ;)

131 posts
+6 more
maupa says

No! Not for me. 500 dollar is here the rate for an freelancer per day. And just one thing: You can’t buy and play a Playstation Game without having a console. :)

2373 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Come on, 500 bucks for import>file>add to render queue :)

391 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+3 more
motionvids says

+ render-time, or actual time you can’t use your After Effects if you have only have one PC/MAC.

Still doesn’t add up to $500 though :P

Back on topic

It does seem very clear to me that you’ll need Adobe After Effects to edit the items on VideoHive, it’s pretty obvious.

Possible solution

Maybe the Devs can add this: When people are purchasing an item that is an After Effects Project File, a notification should pop-up telling them that they need Adobe After Effects in order to edit this file. Than the buyers actually need to check a box stating that they agree and know about Adobe After Effects being required to edit the file.

2373 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

+ render-time, or actual time you can’t use your After Effects if you have only have one PC/MAC.

Still doesn’t add up to $500 though :P

Have you heard about bgrenderer?

131 posts
+6 more
maupa says

Next time I can forward this emails to you. You can purchase my file and offer an cheaper opportunity. What do you think? This is a win-win situation for us. ;) maupa

by
by
by
by
by
by