2351 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

@felt – Of course, I know very well it’s not just pressing the render button, believe me I know. But, some people (like me), don’t have even 10% of customers you have, and of course we have to be cheaper than you. You got your clientele over the years, we’re just building that.

405 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
smudgethis says

To those gasping in outrage at $500 to customize a logo file… Wake up!

$500 to customize a file, render, compress and upload it is a perfectly normal sum in the world of professional motion graphics. Oh…. and it’s never, ever, ever “just press render”. When you take on something like that, you take on a contract and a responsibility.

I know that Videohive skews your world-view somewhat. But c’mon… if you want to be the big motion graphic design professional, then stop thinking like an amateur.

My day rate is £350 which I think equates to around $500-550, and I have no problem with charging that to clients. What I do have an issue with is this idea that someone who has mistakenly purchased a template for $15 not realising it needs after effects (be that due to a language barrier or whatever reason) and then finding it will cost professional day rate to customise.

From the messages here it does sound like this happens a fair bit, not often, but sometimes. I just wondered if maybe the software requirements should be made a little more prominent to the buyer before they click purchase.

Is this the responsibility of the author or videohive?

P.s. this is more the sort of discussion I was hoping for, not a debate on whether we charge to much for a professional service.

J

30 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
TrooperFX says

My day rate is £350 which I think equates to around $500-550, and I have no problem with charging that to clients. What I do have an issue with is this idea that someone who has mistakenly purchased a template for $15 not realising it needs after effects (be that due to a language barrier or whatever reason) and then finding it will cost professional day rate to customise.

Hey if the client is willing to pay me 500 bucks for a customization, im cool with that :bashfulcute: . If not, i still made another sale :sing: !

Is this the responsibility of the author or videohive?

There is already enough information given, on what you purchase, and if the client doesnt inform himself about the product he is buying its his problem, not mine.

+6 more
smudgethis says

Possible solution

Maybe the Devs can add this: When people are purchasing an item that is an After Effects Project File, a notification should pop-up telling them that they need Adobe After Effects in order to edit this file. Than the buyers actually need to check a box stating that they agree and know about Adobe After Effects being required to edit the file.

+1

1556 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+8 more
dorde says

Isn’t obvious that after effects project files are in after effects projects category?
Imagine, for example, big banner over the tablets for dish-washing machine in supermarkets: “You need dish-washing machine to use tablets for dish-washing machine”. And of course some people will buy tablets and will try to use them as bubble gums. :)

+6 more
smudgethis says

Isn’t obvious that after effects project files are in after effects projects category?
Imagine, for example, big banner over the tablets for dish-washing machine in supermarkets: “You need dish-washing machine to use tablets for dish-washing machine”. And of course some people will buy tablets and will try to use them as bubble gums. :)

As someone who uses After Effects, yes, obviously, but not everyone who comes to this site is. Or am I just over-reacting to a world full of idiots destined to spend their lives buying things that they neither need nor have the ability to use?

1039 posts Massfocus
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 500+ members
+7 more
Massfocus says

I’m really not sure about this issue.. i don’t see one except for the fact there are some people out there that click a buy button before reading a single line of text apparently.

Making buyers ’’click’’ 1 more time before purchasing something is a HUGE change, one thinks its not but in the world of micro transactions it surely is, that time one spends to read and click again is enough for a buyer to get second thoughts and skip your file and proceeds on to the next one or simply clicks close and never returns again, so i am not in favor of a extra popup window.

If a buyer reads a single line or phrase or even the website name ’’videohive’’ one should expect to have some kind of video editing software to be able to use anything on the site, this isn’t youtube or vimeo clearly…

67 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
moveNshake says

If I perceive the person is sincere I will offer them their money back. Though what I have also noticed, the ones that are quick to complain can also be the most demanding and in many cases not worth appeasing. Its a case by case decision. I have made the mistake of more than once buying a project that was beyond my CS4..forgot to look..It inspired me to get CS6!

by
by
by
by
by
by