• Australia
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says

Hey guys, so as most of you know I’m designing the new Marketplace design at the moment. It’s quite a departure from the current look and feel and I think it’s going to be pretty cool. We’re still in Photoshop mode, so it’s going to be quite a while before it hits the web.

Anyhow I was thinking about whether the forum design should be different. I don’t use the forums nearly as much as I wish, so I thought I’d ask YOU ! Here’s a few questions, and of course if you just have general opinion, feel free …

• Do you use the sidebar (New Threads), the homepage forum threads, or the /forums homepage to find stuff to read?
  • Do you go into different categories and choose threads?
  • Do you use the RSS feeds?
  • Are there any forum features you wish we had?
  • Are there any forums you use which you find more usable – easier to get around, easier to find stuff to read and discuss, etc.
  • Are there any visual design things you think could be improved (e.g. the Reply button isn’t obvious … that sort of thing)

Thanks guys, any help/suggestions/feedback is very much appreciated!!

1912 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Support Staff
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
+3 more
TPN Staff says

Hey Collis,

It would be nice to have a Rich Text Editor. The reason why I am saying this is because we have a lot of buyers / authors posting code and not using the proper code tags. This would be useful for everyone since we don’t have to go here to see what tags to use and when to use them. That’s all from me. Thank you.

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

What is missing and I think is needed is some basic rules for the forum. Sometimes new users post the wrong thing or go about things the wrong way so just some pointers to give them the heads up would be a good idea I think.

535 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
dimumurray says

@colis: Maybe you should be asking a bigger question, how could the entire site be better? In any case since we’re sticking to just the forum, I’d like to see more of the formating features from textile enabled. Most of the textile features like indentation don’t seem to be supported.

2309 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
theflyingtinman says
* Do you use the sidebar (New Threads), the homepage forum threads, or the /forums homepage to find stuff to read?
Yes
* Do you go into different categories and choose threads?
Yes
* Do you use the RSS feeds?
The forums have RSS feeds? :)
* Are there any forum features you wish we had?
Yes …

A list of all recently updated (as opposed to ‘recently started’) forum threads, regardless of forum section, in order of most recently updated, with “started by” and “last post by”, linking first and last page

And the same links in the individual forum sections

And “remember” which forum section is expanded between visits.

* Are there any forums you use which you find more usable – easier to get around, easier to find stuff to read and discuss, etc.
Yes

Has pretty much what I desired above except “recently updated” does not show “started by” and “last post by” links

* Are there any visual design things you think could be improved (e.g. the Reply button isn’t obvious … that sort of thing)
A much better editor is needed. at the very least give us a way to disable “accidental smileys” (see green smiley above :) )

151 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
RoyalTemplates says

I don’t really visit the forum often but I reckon I would prefer them if there was more contrast between posts, more spacing and also make the design a little wider.

It just seems very cluttered to me.

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
527 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
LeatherwingStudios says

use real forum software like vBulletin or snitz. tons of features already built-in so no wheel re-invention required!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_forum_software

3433 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

The “new threads” Sidebar is a bit useless in my opinion. It should redirect you to the latest message in the thread, and not to the man who started the thread. That part is a bit annoying.. If you are on the forums and see thread.. why would you want to visit the profile of the guy who opened the thread? :) I don’t know ..

Another thing .. the position of the reply box. It should be at the bottom, not at the top.. It’s really annoying to write a reply and check the last message every time by scrolling 1000px ..

Like the other guys said .. Rich Text Editor is a must! This will fix the “adding links process” which is a pain in the %$$ right now .. and other paragraph issues.

Animated_Creativity
Animated_Creativity Recent Posts Threads Started
480 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • India
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Animated_Creativity says
What is missing and I think is needed is some basic rules for the forum. Sometimes new users post the wrong thing or go about things the wrong way so just some pointers to give them the heads up would be a good idea I think.

I agree with DS 100 %. We want our (the authors who have been contributing their files) to have a separate space to share our problems, improvements or thoughts so that we can discuss our matters in a more decent way. Most of the times we come to the forums just to relax and get in touch with the other authors that what are they up to.

As I am afraid that if something of the kind which just happened to me, if will happen again, I will even stop seeing that where is the word “forum”. Anyone should not be so possessive as he is not the only one person who is thinking right in the world of Millions of people. Everyone has his own thoughts which need some respect.

346 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
musicformedia says

Subscribe to forum replies with email updates…please

I know can with RSS and all, but not all of us use that, and its nice to have the option to choose rather than being forced to use RSS

by
by
by
by
by
by