1234 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MBMedia says
I think we should just use the standard phpBB or SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/). They are free/open source and you can customize them to look however you want.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/

would be perfect here.

The glaring problem with that is that FD is not PHP based, so I’m sure they’d rather have a Ruby on Rails based solution :)

97 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United States
magillu says

i like the forum simplistic like it is now. i don’t agree it should dive into something more standard with a rich text editor. that makes for a tacky forum because people change their text colors, sizes, fonts too often.

584 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SparkyFlash says
i like the forum simplistic like it is now. i don’t agree it should dive into something more standard with a rich text editor. that makes for a tacky forum because people change their text colors, sizes, fonts too often.

+1 Just an editor for pasting the code would be enough.

1234 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MBMedia says

That’s a very good point, give people power and they’ll abuse it :P Very true, and I now have changed my stance on having a rich text editor. Really the code stuff is the only thing I’m really concerned about, noobs don’t know to not post raw code, creating a UI where they can easily figure out ways to share code is a needed thing.

1277 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 100+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
rondog says
I think we should just use the standard phpBB or SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/). They are free/open source and you can customize them to look however you want.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/

would be perfect here.
The glaring problem with that is that FD is not PHP based, so I’m sure they’d rather have a Ruby on Rails based solution :)

Ahh I didnt think about that..well I would really be happy with just a RTE and a better code implementation.

1277 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 100+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
rondog says

and an advanced search..I never did like the search on the forums. Very hard to find things

8231 posts Community Moderator
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
oh and stop the bloody smilies ruining peoples code :P :) ty

There should be a button that says Write Code and when you press it then it inserts

<pre></pre> tags and puts the cursor between them, then people will get that they should use them... it should prolly be a little more noticeable than the Pastie link is.
</blockquote>

Yeah but even within pre tags you can have smilies :(

Yeah I too didnt think about the problems a WYSIWYG editor would bring about, especially for noobs.  Maybe just a *very* plain one which doesnt allow size, font or colour editing..?
1234 posts
+5 more
MBMedia says
oh and stop the bloody smilies ruining peoples code :P :) ty

There should be a button that says Write Code and when you press it then it inserts

<pre></pre> tags and puts the cursor between them, then people will get that they should use them... it should prolly be a little more noticeable than the Pastie link is.
</blockquote>

Yeah but even within pre tags you can have smilies :(

Yeah I too didnt think about the problems a WYSIWYG editor would bring about, especially for noobs.  Maybe just a *very* plain one which doesnt allow size, font or colour editing..?
</blockquote>

You sure you're not thinking of the code tags? I've had those get smilies, I've never had a pre tag get a smilie.

Maybe just a more prominent pastie link, maybe with instructions popup box button next to it?
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
You sure you’re not thinking of the code tags? I’ve had those get smilies, I’ve never had a pre tag get a smilie.
 nope this is a pre tag with a f$&$"!!!!! smilie :)
+9 more

Maybe just a more prominent pastie link, maybe with instructions popup box button next to it?

This is the kinda thing that should be placed on a “Read this before you Post” post :) and yes, a little larger than size 8 grey font on grey background too.. :P lol

by
by
by
by
by
by