97 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
magillu says

i like the forum simplistic like it is now. i don’t agree it should dive into something more standard with a rich text editor. that makes for a tacky forum because people change their text colors, sizes, fonts too often.

597 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SparkyFlash says
i like the forum simplistic like it is now. i don’t agree it should dive into something more standard with a rich text editor. that makes for a tacky forum because people change their text colors, sizes, fonts too often.

+1 Just an editor for pasting the code would be enough.

1234 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
MBMedia says

That’s a very good point, give people power and they’ll abuse it :P Very true, and I now have changed my stance on having a rich text editor. Really the code stuff is the only thing I’m really concerned about, noobs don’t know to not post raw code, creating a UI where they can easily figure out ways to share code is a needed thing.

1277 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
rondog says
I think we should just use the standard phpBB or SMF (http://www.simplemachines.org/). They are free/open source and you can customize them to look however you want.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/

would be perfect here.
The glaring problem with that is that FD is not PHP based, so I’m sure they’d rather have a Ruby on Rails based solution :)

Ahh I didnt think about that..well I would really be happy with just a RTE and a better code implementation.

1277 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
rondog says

and an advanced search..I never did like the search on the forums. Very hard to find things

8291 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says
oh and stop the bloody smilies ruining peoples code :P :) ty

There should be a button that says Write Code and when you press it then it inserts

<pre></pre> tags and puts the cursor between them, then people will get that they should use them... it should prolly be a little more noticeable than the Pastie link is.
</blockquote>

Yeah but even within pre tags you can have smilies :(

Yeah I too didnt think about the problems a WYSIWYG editor would bring about, especially for noobs.  Maybe just a *very* plain one which doesnt allow size, font or colour editing..?
1234 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+5 more
MBMedia says
oh and stop the bloody smilies ruining peoples code :P :) ty

There should be a button that says Write Code and when you press it then it inserts

<pre></pre> tags and puts the cursor between them, then people will get that they should use them... it should prolly be a little more noticeable than the Pastie link is.
</blockquote>

Yeah but even within pre tags you can have smilies :(

Yeah I too didnt think about the problems a WYSIWYG editor would bring about, especially for noobs.  Maybe just a *very* plain one which doesnt allow size, font or colour editing..?
</blockquote>

You sure you're not thinking of the code tags? I've had those get smilies, I've never had a pre tag get a smilie.

Maybe just a more prominent pastie link, maybe with instructions popup box button next to it?
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says
You sure you’re not thinking of the code tags? I’ve had those get smilies, I’ve never had a pre tag get a smilie.
 nope this is a pre tag with a f$&$"!!!!! smilie :)
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

Maybe just a more prominent pastie link, maybe with instructions popup box button next to it?

This is the kinda thing that should be placed on a “Read this before you Post” post :) and yes, a little larger than size 8 grey font on grey background too.. :P lol

2309 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says

Agree 100% on the recent “Editor” comments. Definitely not full rich text : just better ability to format text layout, especially code snippets, (and NOT get accidental smileys all over the place)

One other thing I would really like to see :
List all forum posts by ‘username’.
List all forum threads started by ‘username’

Another idea I had that might be an effective way of cutting down on forum spam and SEOers using our forums for link-building : Entrust a number of full-time ‘sheriffs’ with the power to delegate spam to a “sin bin” as soon as they notice it. It will immediately be removed from the forums and flagged for admin attention. If admin deem it admissible it goes back on the forum and the ‘sheriff’ gets a black mark. Too many black marks and the sheriff loses his badge permanently.

Currently many spam and SEO link-building posts flagged for admin attention remain on the forums far too long, serving their nefarious purpose before admin have chance to take them down.

by
by
by
by
by
by