388 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
EugeneO says

The biggest criticism from the comments on your article are about the quality of code authors here are producing. Maybe a simple first step to rectifying that would be to explicitly outline some best practices to ensure the basics are done correctly. It could be as simple as a list of tutorials. Its apparent that a lot of authors here are new to WordPress and even PHP so this would be an alternative to simply turning them away and telling them to be better.

3231 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says
plus I think that if envato put a mandatory framework in place the themes were be very very similar(even more than many are now)

I had the same thought when I first considered the idea of an “Envato Framework” for WordPress. I almost said something in my previous post about the downsides of bottlenecking authors into a structure that could influence the design in some fashion (kind like how some people think Thesis sites all look the same). However, upon reading some of the newer comments and a little more thought, I can’t imagine a mandatory framework being put in place.

A framework would only be possible as an optional feature. It might act as a suggested starting point to encourage best practices when developing a WP theme. Kind of like the sample help document that so many authors including myself use as a foundation for their help file. I would still rather use my own framework, because I have my own methodologies, but that’s pretty common for most developers and designers. We can be a little stubborn sometimes. :grin:

oh I think Envato having a framework would make it awesome for developers if it was implemented right, making it mandatory could potentially cause problems

1. why did my theme get rejected Im using your framework
2.the similarity thing :-)
3.Support issues, Im building my own framework because well we know our own source better than anyone else and should be able to support it.

a few things on the article I honestly dont think you can compare themeforest to any of the markets mentioned, now if you were comparing individual authors too them it would make more sense this is a community driven site without all the authors it wouldn’t be much(maybe Collis is a genius and would come up with something ;) ) One of the biggest topics I see is support of themes and proper coding practices I think alot of developers/designers come to themeforest and go wow their making a lot of money I can do that and shoot straight for wordpress because well thats where the money is and may not know much about it or php. I personally have barley touched the surface with my framework because I have a few html templates that I want to get out first(hopefully submitting some later this week) Now with support its up to the authors to support there own themes and there isn’t yet a good way to do that and from what Ive seen at-least on the forums and reading some item comments most the “support” questions have to do with customizations and general wordpress knowledge I think it would be awesome if Envato or a collective group of authors did something Like a 20 days of wordpress use from beginner to advance explaining custom menus how to install themes what different themes admin panels look like, what not to do just pretty much general information to most of use that have been using wordpress for awhile dont really think of. also a basic html/css wiki with links to w3schools ect..

by
by
by
by
by
by