4247 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

Oh, they’re just taking advantage of the concept of the word “community” which is applied respectfully to these marketplaces. :) And I totally agree with you dude. We should start a petition to take away badges and badges privileges from anyone who suggests new, absurd ways to gain them cheaply. Like when someone suggests that there should be a badge for how many files you’ve uploaded… wait… oh right, no that’s a bad idea. :D

4336 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

For me that feature is quite useless right now.

1. Should notify by email to your followers of the new uploads
  2. You can’t see the full list of followers/following

They should be improving this :D

6025 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says
You can’t see the full list of followers/following

What information we get by viewing our followers? Nothing more than waste of time and attention. I don’t see a reason other than confirming ourselves that “Fine, xxx also following me as a result of myself following xxx”. So now it becomes author’s network and no more informative about how many of our regular buyers following us.

4247 posts
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

This isn’t a real suggestion. Just a cool idea. I thought that since so many members probably follow a great many authors, there should be a statement designed in case there are multiple uploads in one day. But that would mean the statements would need to be regulated by having them sent out in intervals. ( roughly one day between intervals ). That way, the total amount of uploads could be processed, calculated or added up, and then recorded, and finally sent out as a tally at the end of each interval. It would prevent the issue of users receiving an overload of Envato emails, which if it were not prevented, some users might have trouble sorting through them all because they might also get other emails. On the other hand, this is a bad idea, because if these statements were sent out in intervals, the author could lose their valuable time-initiative-advantage that could be used to acquire, potentially, more sales as soon as the author sends out their upload notification. So, in the end, singular, individual upload notifications would probably be more sufficient. More complicated for those that receive notifications and more convenient for the authors. Oh well. I tend to argue with myself. Quite often in fact. :)

4247 posts
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says
You can’t see the full list of followers/following
What information we get by viewing our followers? Nothing more than waste of time and attention. I don’t see a reason other than confirming ourselves that “Fine, xxx also following me as a result of myself following xxx”. So now it becomes author’s network and no more informative about how many of our regular buyers following us.

The whole concept behind this, VF, is for those who follow an author to keep track of the files that that author has. They can keep track of that authors files much more closely and exclusively than if they were not following them. You would notice this if you had chosen to follow someone, that when you do follow an author, their items, all of them, appear in the area on the home page that was reserved for the “followers” concept that was applied to these marketplaces. The area in which they appear is 3 squares by 3 squares. Those 9 squares display the thumbs (with links to their files), in the order according to the most recent items uploaded by the authors you follow. There is one catch to following authors. When you choose to follow multiple authors, their entire collection of files show, and they are added to the list according to the order in which each author is added to your following list. This means that if you already follow an author, his entire set of files will be accessible by using that component on the home page. But by then adding a new author to your list, his files will appear in front of any other authors files who has recently uploaded files before any other authors have been added. So, basically, its kinda tough to use, since you may have to search a long ways before you see a file from any author you follow if his file is deep in the list. I follow Adrien, so I would know. He’s got a massive collection of over 100 files. :D

EDIT

Oh, by the way. Seeing which authors you follow is useful in being able to keep track of who’s files you may want to buy. Also, it is useful in a different way. By having access to the list of members you follow, you may more easily, or rather, quickly find them in case you need to contact them. But that would prove to be more efficient if they’d just go on and improve the ability to see who are your followers and who is following you by allowing each member to view a complete list.

6025 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

Aw_Shucks, the usage of list to whom we follow makes sense but I guess we have no reasons to see the list who are following us.

4247 posts
+5 more
Aw_Shucks says

Of course its useful. If you consider the possible means and reasons behind contacting those who are interested in you, then it becomes a bit easier to comprehend. The phone works both ways. You don’t always expect a call. But that doesn’t mean that those you call always expect you to call them. And you’ve used a phone before, right? In much the same way, you may need to contact someone you might not have expected to. But, in your case, VF, this doesn’t have to apply necessarily. At least, its all a matter of convenience. Also, if you’ve been reading the posts that me and ipad made about seeing the full list of followers on one’s profile, then you’d understand that some people, ( mainly authors ) have interest in sending out notifications to those that follow them, in order to gain some potential sales from devoted customers. In these cases, the followers list may prove to be very beneficial toward the longevity and success of these businesses. That’s if they are properly utilized. But that would mean there would first have to be great improvements made to the concepts behind this somewhat functioning and optional tool. But it shouldn’t be hard to conceptualize its development. The good part is actually putting it into the processes.

107 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
colorit says

From me as a buyer’s view:

I follow all authors, who have – for my taste ;-) – more than one good (and I mean: very good) theme.

I prefer professional business WP themes and portfolios for artists, but mostly I work with Wordpress.

PSD themes are nearly worthless for me, HTML themes causes too much time and work for me, because my contents are too huge for just HTML sites.

But I love good Wordpress themes with professional design and not too much “bling bling” ;-)

If you have more than one, I be your follower :-D

It just depends on your own work and cannot be “forced” ;-)

by
by
by
by
by
by