626 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

It’s an old question i know, but i was wondering if there are maybe some new cool options to check your themes in other browsers.

I work on mac and on there i can check on firefox, chrome, safari and opera. Besides that i have an somewhat older laptop with vista and explorer 8 which i on purpose do not update to keep explorer 8 active. On another laptop i have explorer 9.

I so happens to be i have these laptops, didn’t bought them for these purpose.

But how do other authors do it? Ofcourse the pain are the explorer versions..

485 posts (-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
Themewaves says

Any IE9 version there has Developer tools and that’s changing Viewpoint to IE8 and IE7 that’s really helped me lot and there has inspector too. I have used many different tools before. Now i’m using if i check the IE then i will always use this.

3565 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says
84 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Coffee-Themes says

Bootcamp with Windows and sometimes browserstack.com.

88 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
DesignPuma says

One option is to purchase the vmware fusion 5. After that you can easily install any version of Windows on that virtual machine and you do not need to restart your computer to startup Windows system.
After that install IE Tester and thats all :)

3565 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Any IE9 version there has Developer tools and that’s changing Viewpoint to IE8 and IE7 that’s really helped me lot and there has inspector too. I have used many different tools before. Now i’m using if i check the IE then i will always use this.

The viewpoint is not always accurate. I remember a case when i was arguing with a client because he said that something was broke in IE8 while i was clearly seeing that it worked in IE9 compatibility mode – IE8. When i viewed in an actual IE8, it was broken..

470 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
virtuti says

I test only on real computers in real browsers (I have 3 desktops with various OS and browsers accordingly, 2 old laptops, 1 tablet and 1 iPhone). Otherwise I can not claim that all is ok. What Ruben said is very correct. I do not trust all kind of those replicators (is there such a word?:)))

23 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
ZxxxZ says

You can legally download disk images with IE6-10 for testing from http://www.modern.ie/en-US/virtualization-tools#downloads . There is even version for Linux, working with VirtualBox. Setting it all up takes some time, effort and disk space, here is helpful script https://github.com/xdissent/ievms for Linux if you are into that sort of thing:)

To test ‘retina ready’ without any iDevice use latest Firefox, go to about:config and change layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 2.0 to emulate Apple devices, or any of ‘CSS pixel ratio’ values from that page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density to check Nokia, LG, HTC, Samsung, Sony, Blackberry…

My real question would be: what are you actually testing/looking for? Different resolutions, different DPI, fonts installed, base font sizes, mouse/touch events, smoothness of animations and scrolling, z-index issues, grid problems, ... ?

Do you have some kind of dummy content with all these weird issues users create: looooong multi line titles, suprlonggermanwords, images with strange sizes, ill formated paragraphs, menus with too many items, empty lists, lists-tables-etc with even|odd|0|1|100 number of elements… ?

There should be some kind of wiki, where themeforest authors could share stuff like that, workout some standards and easily keep it up to date!

626 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

@ZxxxZ nice explanation.

I just need the ability to check different IE browsers. Now i can but on different machines. And i’m not planning to always have like 3 machines available for IE testing.

I’ve never seen that modern.ie website. So i can get images for use with virtual box just like that? And test the different browsers?

Touch events etc. i think does need to be tested on devices like the ipad itself.

485 posts (-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
Themewaves says

The viewpoint is not always accurate. I remember a case when i was arguing with a client because he said that something was broke in IE8 while i was clearly seeing that it worked in IE9 compatibility mode – IE8. When i viewed in an actual IE8, it was broken..

Hmm that’s not happened to me. Maybe my customer numbers low :bashful: Thanks for info.

by
by
by
by
by
by