545 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
muscma01 says

Hey everyone at VideoHive, I am an Audio Jungle author and I am curious about how you choose music for your projects.

Do you do general searches and start to find something that just fits? Do you find an author that makes music you like and stick with them? Do you find the music before or after your animation is made? What type of music is most useful for you? Is there a genre or style that is more useful?

I think its such an awesome platform where the marketplaces can blend and it’s important to know how to make music better to help fit your applications. Thanks and have a great day!

526 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Located in Italy
+1 more
bosone says

that’s really an intersting question for me, too! :)

73 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Permaloop says

I personally have something in mind to create and start looking for music and sound fx that will fit in my project. Of course I look first in some of my favorite authors. If I was composing music I would definitely study the projects that videohive authors are creating. hope that helps.

545 posts
+1 more
muscma01 says

@permaloop it does thanks for the advice

149 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
davidossahdez says

This is my process to create any template to Videohive

1. I write down the general idea for my project.
  2. Then, I make some concepts designs in Photoshop to have a visual reference of what I want.
  3. Next, I define the mood or the style that I’m looking for, for example, with my last project I was looking for something high-tech, cinematic and digital.
  4. When I already know what kind of mood I want to create, I look for “categories” in Audiojungle and other audio sources that fits the keywords I’ve set (I said that I look for “categories” just because guessing a song name is impossible. Actually most of the authors give to their songs pretty unique names that doesn’t reflect anything about the song. It is cool but makes more difficult to find something useful) With my last project, I know that maybe a GLITCH or CINEMATIC song was a good approach.
  5. I start listening every song I came across. I close my eyes and try to visualize a good rythm that have the magical touch I’m looking for. I don’t stick with any author just because out there are many talents. Is a better approach to give to everyone an opportunity.
  6. After I found it, I visualize in my mind a good balance between all my project’s scenes and the beats of the song. This gives me a good idea of the timing of the scene transitions when I’m editing the final video.
  7. I start the project and create all the assets I need to make my template. I always make the scenes longer enough to be trimmed. In this way, the end user can re-time it to fit other songs.
  8. I try to don’t modify my initial idea, but sometimes I let the music to add value to the template itself and I end up adding or removing some parts.
  9. After that, I do the final tweaks and it’s done!

To answer your questions:

• Do you do general searches and start to find something that just fits? I do general searches, but with the names that many authors gives to their songs, it is pretty difficult. A better approach is to look into categories like CINEMATIC, GLITCH, BUSINESS and so on.
  • Do you find an author that makes music you like and stick with them? No I don’t. I have favourites but I don’t stick to them. Out there are a lot of new talents and they are waiting to be discovered :)
  • Do you find the music before or after your animation is made? Actually, I define the idea and the initial animation BEFORE listen any song. Next I search for music and at the end, tweak my animation and my design to get the most of both.
  • What type of music is most useful for you? Any that fits the theme of my template. I don’t create templates to fit a song. I look for songs that fits my template. :)
  • Is there a genre or style that is more useful? I’m young. So I prefer use modern rythms. But I also a motion designer, and I know that the niche or the target customers defines what kind of music you should use
545 posts
+1 more
muscma01 says

@davidossahdez awesome information, I appreciate the time you took on thoughtful response. Thanks again!

397 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Twisterium says

To answer your questions:

• Do you do general searches and start to find something that just fits? I do general searches, but with the names that many authors gives to their songs, it is pretty difficult. A better approach is to look into categories like CINEMATIC, GLITCH, BUSINESS and so on.
  • Do you find an author that makes music you like and stick with them? No I don’t. I have favourites but I don’t stick to them. Out there are a lot of new talents and they are waiting to be discovered :)
  • Do you find the music before or after your animation is made? Actually, I define the idea and the initial animation BEFORE listen any song. Next I search for music and at the end, tweak my animation and my design to get the most of both.
  • What type of music is most useful for you? Any that fits the theme of my template. I don’t create templates to fit a song. I look for songs that fits my template. :)
  • Is there a genre or style that is more useful? I’m young. So I prefer use modern rythms. But I also a motion designer, and I know that the niche or the target customers defines what kind of music you should use

Hi Davidossahdez. A lot of thanks for this information. Sometimes it really helps to find the right way for writing music that could really be useful for video projects here. Cheers!

695 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
videologio says
  • Most of the times I have a general idea about what I want to do and I am looking in the prortfolio of some favorite authors for a music that fits, because it is too difficult to find what I want. If I cant find anything there I am looking at the works of other authors. There were times I asked from an author to write something about a template, because it was too special, I wanted a particular style.
  • If the duration of the template is one minute, I am looking for music track about that duration. I dont want the track to be longer, because I will have to edit it, and the result maybe will not be as good as the original one. This longer track will be more expensive too, and maybe my client doesnt want to spend so much money for the music as he spended for the template. Most of my templates are about one minute, so I am looking for music tracks about that duration most of the times.
545 posts
+1 more
muscma01 says

@videologio Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I know you said your videos are around a minute or so, do your videos seamlessly loop or is around a minute is what the clients are looking for?

I guess this question is for other Video Hive Authors as well, but when it comes to time, is 1 minute the mark to hit? If not what are some good durations you find most useful?

695 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
videologio says

@videologio Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I know you said your videos are around a minute or so, do your videos seamlessly loop or is around a minute is what the clients are looking for? I guess this question is for other Video Hive Authors as well, but when it comes to time, is 1 minute the mark to hit? If not what are some good durations you find most useful?

No they dont seemless loop, 1-2 minutes is a good duration for any after effects template. Check out my portfolio or other authors’s portfolios. We need also smaller music tracks for intros or logos about 10-30 secs.

by
by
by
by
by
by