1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

I think that question is more to figure out how I can mentally deal with people constantly scrapping my files and distributing them illegally without me wanting to toss my chair out the window with frustration/anger.

I just spent 2 hours out of my day hunting down these files and sending out DCMA notices to everyone that I could. It’s just so incredibly frustrating knowing that tomorrow there will probably be another dozen of them sprouting up in another far off corner of the internet somewhere.

How in the world does everyone mentally deal with this practice without totally leaving the Envato marketplace entirely?

211 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
tahadaf says

we have promissed not to talk about this stuff on forums. please contact support for more information.

anyone else, please do not reply and let this thread die soon :)

825 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
InterantMedia says
we have promissed not to talk about this stuff on forums. please contact support for more information. anyone else, please do not reply and let this thread die soon :)

Confirmed, contact the support and close this thread. :)

+10 more
JamiGibbs says

Are you serious?

I’m just asking for ways to cope with it… like emotionally. I’m not asking for links or tips on fighting it.

Apologies if I crossed a line here. I didn’t realize it was taboo.

825 posts
+6 more
InterantMedia says
Are you serious?

I’m just asking for ways to cope with it… like emotionally. I’m not asking for links or tips on fighting it.

Apologies if I crossed a line here. I didn’t realize it was taboo.

Ah, sorry that we understood it wrong. I think I can’t give my opinion on emotional area, because we don’t experience it. I think I would become very tired of fighting against it. But maybe this can help you to fight against those people who steal your files: http://killer.freshface.cz/.

+10 more
JamiGibbs says
But maybe this can help you to fight against those people who steal your files: http://killer.freshface.cz/.

FreshFace’s application is awesome! For sure. Sometimes I have to manually search for a contact email though because I get an error on some links but it’s definitely helpful.

I guess all I can do is accept that I will lose sales to this sort of thing and move on.

825 posts
+6 more
InterantMedia says
But maybe this can help you to fight against those people who steal your files: http://killer.freshface.cz/.

FreshFace’s application is awesome! For sure. Sometimes I have to manually search for a contact email though because I get an error on some links but it’s definitely helpful.

I guess all I can do is accept that I will lose sales to this sort of thing and move on.

Maybe you can employ individuals to help you ;)

438 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
christopherjon says

Well, I wouldn’t say “Just ignore it and move on” is the best advice but the truth is that is what you have to do.

When it comes to piracy, at least your in good company with every other software company, movie studio and musician. From the smallest developers to the largest companies, everyone has the same problem.

If it’s a digital product, it’s going to end up on the torrents and file sharing sites eventually and to be honest, there isn’t much you can do about it. Perhaps you can shut a few down but good luck touching the offshore sites.

So, how do you deal with it emotionally? You need to shrug it off and not take it personal.

You can still monitor the larger file sharing sites and send out DCMA ’s n’ stuff but don’t let it consume you. Wal-Mart factors in theft into their business plan and budgeting and so should you.

I’ve had my stuff pirated, distributed for free and even resold by others pretending it was their own work and it made me laugh and made me cranky but it’s not something I can control.

To quote Chris Rock, “If somebody steps on your pumas, let it slide”

Hey, if your stuff is worth stealing you must be doing something right. :)

825 posts
+6 more
InterantMedia says

I think that that’s a very encouraging sentence. :)

+10 more
JamiGibbs says
Well, I wouldn’t say “Just ignore it and move on” is the best advice but the truth is that is what you have to do.

When it comes to piracy, at least your in good company with every other software company, movie studio and musician. From the smallest developers to the largest companies, everyone has the same problem.

If it’s a digital product, it’s going to end up on the torrents and file sharing sites eventually and to be honest, there isn’t much you can do about it. Perhaps you can shut a few down but good luck touching the offshore sites.

So, how do you deal with it emotionally? You need to shrug it off and not take it personal.

You can still monitor the larger file sharing sites and send out DCMA ’s n’ stuff but don’t let it consume you. Wal-Mart factors in theft into their business plan and budgeting and so should you.

I’ve had my stuff pirated, distributed for free and even resold by others pretending it was their own work and it made me laugh and made me cranky but it’s not something I can control.

To quote Chris Rock, “If somebody steps on your pumas, let it slide”

Great perspective! Quite helpful.. thank you!

by
by
by
by
by
by