• Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
miseld says

Maybe you want to try Envato Affiliate and make some money till you learn After Effects ;)

2034 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

The jump from following tutorials to making things on your own is not as hard as it may seem.

If you like doing stuff in ae, just try out some of the effects, you will be surprised what cool things you can do with effects you’ve never heard about.

I think every experienced motion designer will tell you that a lot of their innovative work came out by trial and error, and not by having a strict imagination of how it shall look like from the beginning.

And if you watch the tutorials at videocopilot, you may have also noticed that andrew kramer does not want the people to copy his animations 1 to 1, he more likely encourages everyone to take his techniques and “take it to the next level” (as he might say…)

I’d say if you have watched all videocopilot tutorials and recreated a dozen of them, you are ready to open up ae without having a tutorial at your site :)

If you have some questions, feel free to contact me via my profile page. I’m planning to start a tutorial website at the end of the year, so maybe you can give me some ideas on tuts people wanna see :)

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Russian Federation
iDanbo says

Wow! So many replies, so many suggestions from the PRO ’s! I’ve gotta make a list of them :D Creattive, I totally agree with you about Andrew. He usually doesn’t even make a tutorial exactly like in the preview. For example, in the iPhone tutorial he didn’t animate the camera but in the preview it’s animated. It’s pretty annoying cuz you want to make a project just like in the preview :S Oh and btw, can you tell me the upcoming site name plzz :) And maybe the first desire for your site: make the tutorial just like the preview!! :)

243 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Vineet_kashyap says

Get lynda online training, learn typography, learn color theory, learn composition, learn from pro and try to make it orignal do huge volume of work and after some time you will start become better and better. check out this http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/category/inspiration/ let’s jump on it !

2034 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

Oh and btw, can you tell me the upcoming site name plzz :) And maybe the first desire for your site: make the tutorial just like the preview!! :)

Hi, the site is still only existing in my imagination so no link now, sry.

About making the tutorials just like the preview: Well this could be easily achieved if i just take the end-result of the tutorial and render that out as preview.

But I think that’s nothing to complain about in Andrew’s tutorials. What I like the most in his tuts (and hate in others) is that he does not have everything prepared and ready, having a note where all parameters are written on. He develops the style he want to achieve by playing with these parameters, just like he would do if he is working on that for the first time. I think all the tuts where people say “and here we type 23, here we type 58, here we type 349…” cannot teach you anything. You want to see where these numbers come from, I don’t like the “finished cake in the oven” (also Andrew’s words).

Also, the best way to learn is not to have someone who just gives you the answer. Let’s take your iphone-tut as example: you have recognized that the cameramovement is missing in his tut, so why not trying this on your own. Animating the camera has been shown in so many tuts, you should be able to do that.

The best way to learn is to achieve knowledge on your own. If you try to achieve a special effect, maybe trying around for some hours, you will be rewarded by an emotion of pride when you finally made it. Researches have found that every learnexperiences which are coupled with emotions are much more effective than others.

The best teachers I had where not the ones who gave you the answer, they were the ones who showed you the right direction and encouraged you to find the answer on your own.

727 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
GrizzleFX says

Hi Daniel!

I’m 17 as well haha. I have been using after effects for about 1.5 years. In my experience you just really have to practice a lot on your own time, figure things out by yourself. I think tutorials are great for the basics but once you know the basics I think it’s better to look at other projects and try to replicate what they’re doing. Doing this will help you develop skills and knowledge of the program so you can use those skills when you make a project that you want to sell or make money off of. Also learning expressions is helpful!

Good luck,

-Graham

8 posts
  • Bulgaria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
IcoBG says

Hi, buddy.

I think I’m just like you (or was, now I’m going through some kind of metamorphosis), but anyway – I asked the same questions and I couldn’t find a specific answer. I don’t know if there is, but here is my opinion on that. Just like you, I started with VideoCopilot, first I was editing their templates and that was all for now (don’t get me wrong, I don’t advice you to give up just like that). That was 2 years ago and for less than a week I just gave up and didn’t opened AE for a while (couple of monts actually)... When I started to feel bored, I said to myself that this time when I start AE, I’ll be more patient in learning and experimenting. So, I basically started with a layer and then I started browsing through all effects and presets. After doing that, I closed AE and in the next day, I tried to do something by myself. It was awful with really bad timing, non-stylish and all, but I continued working on it. So now, after a lot of experimenting (and a lot to come) and watching tutorials, I think I’m somewhere between the “beginner – intermediate” level. Sadly, I don’t have really good PC to render my “tryouts”, so that’s why, to be honest, I registered here. To earn some cash, because I see here really cool templates (which I can actually recreate, but the idea would be now stolen) and these particular templates have a lot of sales, so that kinda fooled me that everything is easier than it seems. And now I’m stucked in that pattern – I need a good computer to earn good cash <=> I need good cash to earn and buy good computer. Haha :P

I wish you all the best dude and I believe that one day everything will come along. :)

404 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
smudgethis says

For me it all started with this book…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creating-Motion-Graphics-Effects-Expert/dp/0879306068/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1353346625&sr=8-6

About 7 years ago at Uni I decided I wanted to learn motion graphics so I locked myself in my room for a week and just ploughed through it cover to cover. This was enough to give me a basic understanding of how the software worked and then it was just a case of using it to try to wow my teachers.

One thing that is crucial to becoming good at the software is to not let it govern what you can do. It is insanely flexible and it has the potential to allow you to create almost anything so don’t just stick to what you know. Push yourself and try things that you don’t necessarily have the ability to do, the web is a wonderful resource and it’s incredibly rewarding when you create something that a week or two earlier you wouldn’t have been able to.

321 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Italy
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
mothinkers says

Never be proud about work you have done previously, like that, you will continue to work hard every day to make better than yesterday. So work hard. Another way to learn it’s to make something from scratch every day, small things like a short 2-3 secondes animation and you’ll progress quickly.

I totally agree!! Determination and perseverance are the keys to success!

by
by
by
by
by
by