• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I think a grand full flash website no longer going to help getting big clients with current trends. If we can show the same wow factors with html (if possible), then possibility of success is more than double.

I disagree. It would be easy too make it known that you provide both services. And you could prominently state that all Flash work has HTML backup included. Because people still love Flash. They just want to make sure their website can also be viewed on a non-Flash device. At least this is what I’ve been hearing from clients (albeit they are small business ones)

5753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

^ Flash site can still help but with that kind of approach, we have to convince them with reasonable amount of rich html stuff on portfolio. The better alternative is making the website in html (with wow factors) and show the flash works in portfolio due to present mindsets. Guaranteed way at present I believe (ofcourse only if you work on both technologies).

3402 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
bobocel says

^ Flash site can still help but with that kind of approach, we have to convince them with reasonable amount of rich html stuff on portfolio. The better alternative is making the website in html (with wow factors) and show the flash works in portfolio due to present mindsets. Guaranteed way at present I believe (ofcourse only if you work on both technologies).

I agree. And it’s another reason we went with an html website.

The second reason is we looked at the biggest agencies that had Flash websites, and right now all of them have a grid of thumbs displaying a few words and nice images. (Big Space Ship, North Kingdom, etc.)

We started working on a Flash site, but when the iPad came out, we decided it’s better to keep Flash only in the portfolio.

131 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
peejay says

Word of mouth is the biggest factor. That comes about hard grafting. Networking. Treating every job like it’s the most important in the world and sending every client away very happy with the product and the service. You need them to walk away thrilled and wanting to talk about you. It’s about getting noticed for your work and not for pestering people for work. It takes years of building up a reputation. The big jobs NEVER come from advertising, cold calls. The big jobs are the product of a lot of years of hard work, there are no shortcuts.

3402 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
bobocel says

So there’s no elevator for success. We must take the stairs. :P

5388 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Good Saying Bobocel ! Like it.

We stopped developing other peoples sites a few years ago.

We have two arms now.

All in house, we develop larger reach sites, with dynamic structure. I am just the organ grinder, with limited skillset.

A kind of plodder, suck it and see, modify and refine…

We employ now 4 people full time, and taking on 2 more 1st 1/4 March.

I am anti wordpress, and joomla. I dont know why, as many people create some stunning websites using WP, and some of the largest websites going are WP

But I just can’t help myself, view source: search for WP and voila, and it annoys me. Again no idea why, because theres no basis for this assumption.

Anyhoo, as far as SEO goes, many many moons ago, we spent almost a year developing a site, this was back in 96. We tweaked the SEO to within a mm of its life. As such we went to number 1 on google in the uk, and page 1 on google worldwide.

Plus, we did all this for approx 50 keywords, and single ones at that. Mind you in those days, Overture, Inktomi and ODP were the sites to get your shit together.

Nowadays it is far harder to reach number 1, and I always recall the “florida” effect that hit us in about 2000 I think, when google reversed all of the rankings and seo placements, we were devastated, now it seems sand boxing is the norm..

These days, we create content, that is unique, and is well presented and does what we want it to do, moreso, we do not have the time now to work on SEO . So employ a team based in UK, who do this for us, for a nominal monthly fee they look after our main sites.

So far we are happy with the results, just an aside.

One site we worked on back in the frontpage days, was a flooring company. In fact was a business I owned in the UK. Many of the keywords we worked on back then, so mid 90’s are still page 1 and page 2 google. ! And we havent touched the site for approx 8 years

Example:

Laminate flooring installers is still page 1 for uk. Company “fabfloor”

The site is so crap by todays comparisons, but back then we were the bees knees. I still cannot shut the site down, it would kill me.

Mind you, we still earn, $80-100 a week off adsense from it, and having been in Australia 8 years now, that equates to quite a lot, for a site that just sits there.

These days, we have moved up a notch or two, bearing in mind the site above hasnt been changed for 15 years ! I woder how many people on here have sites going for that long ?

Could go on, dont wanna bore you.

by
by
by
by
by
by