638 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
UBLThemes says

Hi guys, i am in the middle of developing my first wordpress theme for themeforest.

I am about 90% done for all the PSD designs, Then i will code the html and finally the wordpress theme.

Should i submit psd files, then html and wait to see if they are a success or should i just start coding the wordpress?

What do you guys do to measure if its worth coding in wordpress?

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

Even the best PSD template will only sell a few hundred copies over several years. It would take too long to see if it is a success. HTML would be a better indicator, because they sell more copies, and you could see how many requests for a WP version you get. Even then, there are many customers who only look at WP themes who might never see the HTML version. WP themes are measured in large part by features (page builders, shortcodes, widgets, etc), so they might not need the same level of design as a PSD

54 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Slovenia
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
psvent says

I came to the same conclusion that a good seller is either excelles at aesthetics or with features (talking about WP themes).

But I guess some times it’s just matter of “right theme at the right time”. Just look at the latest “Weekly Top Sellers” list. In my opinion there is at least one theme that doesn’t excel at either criteria but does combine smaller features in a unique way and has sales going thru the roof.

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

But I guess some times it’s just matter of “right theme at the right time”. Just look at the latest “Weekly Top Sellers” list. In my opinion there is at least one theme that doesn’t excel at either criteria but does combine smaller features in a unique way and has sales going thru the roof.
I agree…there are some top sellers that wouldn’t sell a single copy as a PSD . aybe they’d sell as HTML with features like a responsive layout and contact form, but the real reason people buy is the options and features.
by
by
by
by
by
by