• Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
harmonikas996 says

Thank you a lot for this comment! Appreciate it!
You’re welcome :) Are you inventing a new language, too? :D

Nope, first I need to improve my English, then maybe I will try with German :)

271 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
Kopyov says

FYI, Russian language doesn’t have “the, a, an etc.” stuff. If you want to say “the car”, it’ll be just “car”.

But still have the same logic for “this, that, those, them, it, these etc.” :)

1777 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
SamBerson says

FYI, Russian language doesn’t have “the, a, an etc.” stuff. If you want to say “the car”, it’ll be just “car”. But still have the same logic for “this, that, those, them, it, these etc.” :)

V. interesting.

928 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Russian Federation
  • Exclusive Author
permian says

I’d say one of the big differences between english language and many others is that they only have one “the”.

For me the most surprising part was that English had no “respectful” form of “addressing”: 5-years old kid and 60-years old man, your buddy and your president – it’s just “you” everywhere. In French, for instance, that would be “tu” and “vous”, in my language – “ty” and “vy” (“y” here is actually not “y”, but English has no similar letter and sound).

86 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
wp_workshop says

Also, unlike English, lots of languages have cases, like German (4 cases), Latin (6), Serbian (7) etc…

Long story short: Basically, a word is changed depending on the context. For example, consider these two sentences in Serbian:

Envato je vlasnik CodeCanyona. (tran.: Envato is the owner of CodeCanyon)

CodeCanyon je Envatov vebsajt. (tran.: CodeCanyon is Envato’s website.)

In first sentence, word Envato is in first case (nominative) and in second sentence it’s in second case (genitive), because it indicates the possession.

Whole this cases thingy is complicated when foreigner is learning a language with cases, but languages with cases are more ‘precise’, so to say.

86 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
wp_workshop says

I’d say one of the big differences between english language and many others is that they only have one “the”.
For me the most surprising part was that English had no “respectful” form of “addressing”: 5-years old kid and 60-years old man, your buddy and your president – it’s just “you” everywhere. In French, for instance, that would be “tu” and “vous”, in my language – “ty” and “vy” (“y” here is actually not “y”, but English has no similar letter and sound).

Yeah, i find this strange too. But that’s because plural and singular are same (You) in English. In most other languages it differs, for example in Serbian its’ ‘Ti’ for singular and ‘Vi’ for plural. So when you are addressing someone older than you, or if you are speaking to someone formally, you address him with ‘Vi’.

928 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Russian Federation
  • Exclusive Author
permian says

FYI, Russian language doesn’t have “the, a, an etc.” stuff. If you want to say “the car”, it’ll be just “car”.

I could also add that Russian doesn’t require linking verbs in most cases, so “It’s a car” would be just “It car”/”Eto mashina”.

2145 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

True. But I really like that in the english language. Not because it’s easier, but I don’t like to say to a recently met or older person another word than to my best friends. It’s much more friendly if I say the same to them as to the people I like, but that’s my personal opinion.

By introducing another word to “respectfully” call people you are not so familiar with, you somehow introduce a way to bring in a distance between them and you right at the beginning. This leads to the waiting if you are allowed to say the personal word to him/her which is ridiculous in my opinion. I think that people should be more opened up when meeting new people and don’t treat them other as people you already know.

In german we also have 2 words, but I like to say to everyone “Du”, and not “Sie” (comparable to french vous). Some people feel offended by that, but then I mostly don’t like them anyway so I don’t care :P

2203 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
manuelvega says

Cool thread xD

by