9 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
thatLeo says

Hello, fellow artists.

I am about to start my personal brand on the internet. And I really, REALLY need your help in one of the most important issues that has been nagging me ever since I made it. My logo.

It is the same as my profile picture here. I have also hosted my logo here: http://postimg.org/image/toa1qnpkd/

Please tell me:

-What are you first impressions? -What does it look like to you? -Can you make out what it is? -Are the colours okay? -What does the logo tell you about me as a brand? -Does it look good? -What do you suggest?

Your help will be really appreciated. THANK YOU!

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Well it’s definitely unique. First impression I thought it looks a bit kindergarten like, unless that’s the style you’re going for. Then naturally my mind was trying to figure out what it was exactly, it kinda looks like a person. But then I realized it’s LEO with the letters arranged in a specific way. The problems with the arrangement though, Firstly naturally your eye reads words from left to right, and top to bottom, whereas you only read LEO if you read upwards. Secondly the letter E is backwards, and letter E’s backwards sometimes look like the number 3. So your brain has to work a little harder to read what the logo stands for.

And then the username ThatLeo is kinda odd, because you’re referring to your company in the 3rd person, or implying there are other LEO’s and you are THAT LEO, which again is confusing, and unnecessary. I’m guessing you wanted the username Leo, but it was taken, so you became ThatLeo, but again that’s just not a good idea to do that at all, it’s just not professional, rather try find a unique name, this will work out for you later, in case you want to get domain names, social user account names that are similar or the same to your profile name.

So personally I think it’s too much of a puzzle to figure out, the logo should be bold, and clear and be easy for your customers to understand and recognize. So I would quite honestly try another concept all together, think of a logo that will speak to your customers and be a strong identity for your company. Why not have a symbol of a Lion, or the star sign for Leo or even the star constellation of Leo, something stylized, but still easily recognized as relating to the word LEO. :)

\\

This is the logo for Gatecrasher Night Club. it’s simple, stylized and easily recognized which makes it a strong brand which people will remember. So I think the whole Leo idea has potential to be really awesome, I just wouldn’t do that whole jumble letter thing, but play around with some ideas with something that symbolizes Leo better..

\\

Here’s another good one for Seven Lions, who make drum n bass. It’s simple, and its a strong brand.

Just my opinion, maybe your name is Leo.. so then you wouldn’t want to have anything with Lions… but again if that is the case, it’s also odd to put your first name as the brand name.. Wow I’ve typed a lot haha,

9 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
thatLeo says

@digitalscience

WOW! That was really some effort. First of all, a big thanks for taking your time for this.

“Then naturally my mind was trying to figure out what it was exactly, it kinda looks like a person. But then I realized it’s LEO with the letters arranged in a specific way.”

What I really intended was that it should look like an avatar or gravatar when people look at it first. You know those default profile pictures you see in the comments section of a website? That was my idea. People should not get it at first that it actually is L E O. I did not want it to be plain obvious. So your answer kind of achieved that objective?

Now, what does it stand for? 1. My name is actually Leo. It is not a company. 2. I am going to have around 10 websites – photo.thatleo.com | art.thatleo.com | blog.thatleo.com …....

3. I mostly am going to be blogging and creating art, films, photography, music. But a lot of blogging. 4. Also, I will be designing websites, but that is just on the side.

So a Lion may not embody all of it, even though a lion was the first thing that came to my mind before designing a logo. Now the name thatLeo may sound very strange at first, just like a Nike would do or Adidas would when people hear it for the first time. Anything new is strange. But of course those are not exactly pronouns like Leo is. It is something that will grow on them over time may be?

I got that name from the usual conversations people have. Like, “You know THAT LEO made a big mess today.” “You know THAT LEO guy who does not stop dancing even after the music stops?”

I knew I won’t get Leo on most social networking sites or domain names, so i had to settle for another Leo.

Again, thanks a ton, mate.
4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Now the name thatLeo may sound very strange at first, just like a Nike would do or Adidas would when people hear it for the first time. Anything new is strange.

Well unique names like Nike or Adidas is what I’m referring to, they weren’t words that existed before so became easily recognized later. Adding “that” to your name doesn’t make it unique, it makes it seem like there are other Leo’s. Also try think of any big name brand that refers to itself in the 3rd person… the only thing I can think of is “that 70’s show” tv series, but that’s because it’s easily indentifable as a 70’s show.. but thatLeo, is not easily identifiable as Leo – because it’s your name not a concept, and unless people personally knew you already, they wouldn’t know who Leo was :)

Personally I would rather change your brand name to “LeoDesigns” or “LeoPress” or something similar. Then that would make a whole lot more sense, a type of work created by Leo.. which is you.

by
by
by
by
by
by