2296 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Our new ad guy Alex is going to be taking over the Elite campaigns and he’s going to be shaking things up and searching for different opportunities.

ah good, I think I will wait to cash my Elite coin in then, and see what is offered. Thx.

Jonathan

1611 posts Chris Robinson
+10 more
contempoinc says

Our new ad guy Alex is going to be taking over the Elite campaigns and he’s going to be shaking things up and searching for different opportunities.

ah good, I think I will wait to cash my Elite coin in then, and see what is offered. Thx.

Jonathan

They really should offer cash bonuses (like any other employer would). I really could care less about the t-shirts, business cards, ad campaigns and superbowl looking rings.

6085 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

Just wondering how an ad pack can be guaranteed to make sales/benefit for each and every author that receives these benefits through various kind of items.

We all know Tim-Tam has fixed weight and consistent taste so Envato knows what they give and authors know what they receive. Through ad package, is there a way Envato knows what they give and authors know what they received? Sorry for my ignorance but this really feels walking in dark :D

1611 posts Chris Robinson
+10 more
contempoinc says

Maybe the reason the ad campaigns (atleast mine) aren’t making good returns is the quality of design & messaging…leaving a lot to be desired. I wish I could have approved the ad before it was put up, or designed it myself.

This is what Envato provided (currently running on Six Revisions), there’s no call to action and the design is amateur at best.

+8 more
jonathan01 says

Maybe the reason the ad campaigns (atleast mine) aren’t making good returns is the quality of design & messaging…leaving a lot to be desired. I wish I could have approved the ad before it was put up, or designed it myself.

This is what Envato provided (currently running on Six Revisions), there’s no call to action and the design is amateur at best.

Yikes… yes it seems to miss all the check points for an ad unfortunately – hard to see the product, space wasted and no call to action or price point.

6085 posts
+8 more
VF says

^ Operation success, patient died.

The horrible truth is even if author themselves involve with ads, it is very difficult to comeup with guaranteed traffic and quality click-throughs for each item involved. Doing such campaigns while balancing many number of recent Elite authors going to be one of a toughest jobs in the world!

Just my 2 cents – please reduce the complexity of Elite campaign and importantly reduce the efforts/diversion from author side.

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Carmen says

Hey guys,

If you have any issues with your Elite rewards and campaigns please contact me directly via my profile page. I’m happy to help you and also to hear any feedback you may have.

At the moment, we send out an email when you have reach each milestone manually. Each email contains a link to the reward, which you fill out with your details. We action the rewards by the end of the first week of every month (for care-packs and Tuts+ premium access).

The ads and business cards take a little longer because they need to be designed and then scheduled (business cards need to be ordered, made and posted as well). We don’t want to put lot’s of ads up all at once, so it can sometimes take a little while until we run the campaign.

We need to do a better job at communicating with Elite authors about their campaigns in general and we are in the process of improving this part of your experience. You’ll be happy to know that as of this month we have a new person looking after Elite Campaigns, Alex Holmes joined our team a month ago and he’s in charge of Marketing for Envato. He’ll be managing the Elite ads and as you can imagine he’s had loads of experience in ad campaigns. :)

With Alex taking the reigns, we have the opportunity to have someone (who’s a Marketing gun) provide you with more information regarding your campaigns. It would be interesting to find out what stats you guys would find useful and we’ll see if we can provide them for you.

Again, if you have any issues- please contact me directly. (Or you can always harass Travis :D)

EDIT: Or not :P (Travis)

+8 more
jonathan01 says

I think the feedback (at least from this thread) is that Elite authors have basically had the only thing useful removed (price alteration) and that no one wants a $1000 ad campaign – in fact I honestly don’t think there really is anything offered currently that anyone really wants.

Business cards are pretty useless as we either don’t get out and about to hand them out, or for $20 have 500 created specific to ourselves and our brand and would rather hand those out.

$1000 ad campaign does not work for anyone apparently – no extra sales and therefore, if it’s offered / possible, a cash replacement (even reduced – or marketplace credit…. something).

Tuts+ membership is really not worth anything to Elite’s as we should pretty much know things we need to know.

The care package is a nice personal touch, but it’s not that personal – I think I would of liked just a thanks letter with a signature from the staff – would of been more personal and something as a keepsake.

So, on to emails, they are done manually in an automated marketplace, seems a little odd, why not have a message shoot from earnings calculation then no touching by staff = nothing missed / no errors, or, just slap one of those huge banner messages on the profile page you guys are good at doing (I joke!).

Also, maybe a good idea to revise paws / goals / levels as they haven’t been altered since the start and earnings are no doubt far greater than Collis or Cyan thought would happen – it’s kind of nicely regulated at the lower end then simply huge gaps from higher to higher still – not much of an incentive once you reach a certain level, the next ones seem almost impossible to reach and it’s deflating.

Hope the feedback falls on ‘listening ears’ – why not send out an invite for a poll to Elite members to weigh-in on some things… you know, actually ask people what they want rather than guess all the time that the next move is the right one. Might be useful.

Jonathan

6085 posts
+8 more
VF says

The Elite page seems to be created (when they made it) with the only intention / urge of displaying “see and see how much our authors are earning”. Not necessarily to reward or help authors and infact biased to give the feel of Elite authors get much benefits as they grow. So it has unbelievable top level just for attraction. I promise the current top level will be reached by some author only after 6-10 years and more chances are there for either Envato getting different format (microstock down/minor & freelance service major/up) or author get retire for health / family reasons for couple of years.

Authors know that what Elite levels are already completed and what are not reached by anyone. But a new buyer or any person in our industry entering into the marketplaces will only see the top level and assume it might be already touched by at least a few authors. While this may not sound like a problem, I see a problem here. It is too early to display a possible high earning of such scale to public and it is dishonest and too cheesy. 6+ years too early display means, something wrong with the intention of campaign while the marketplace service quality lags 2-3 years behind.

Is there any other reason for Envato to add such unrealistic top level target? Isn’t it enough to add a new level campaign only after someone touches half of its target?

And finally, mild improvements to UX that made with some understanding + gratitude to the industry (not necessarily community) would benefit a lot for authors rather than getting the ad campaigns benefits. Why complicate yourself with multiple dedicated departments while the major expectation from authors are just revolving around UX and such things? Hope recent arrangements of staffs resource on marketplace development will improve user experience reasonably. Otherwise Elite campaigns will be yelled by outsiders and especially by buyers.

Edit: And even with highly experienced ad campaign staff, never expect a guaranteed gain for authors, it would be a miracle if someone manages to pull quality click thoughts for more than 4-5 items consistently – especially when the ad isn’t prepared by author. I say this not as a complaint but pointing the obvious difficulty to be better avoided.

327 posts UnitedMotions
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
Balistique says

I past the 200k sales but I did not recieved my ! care package ! yet. I sent few e-mails about it but no response from Carmen and the other staff. And about the ad campaign… there is a big ? :)

by
by
by
by
by
by