• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
corsonr says

Hi Guys!

I’ve always wanted to know how long it takes for you ThemeForest authors to create a WordPress theme. I mean i know this can vary a lot from one author to another, but it would be a nice thing to know the time you spend on a theme from Photoshop to the final WP theme and to share our experiences no?

707 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
ChillThemes says

I don’t usually start in Photoshop, I use a fresh install of WordPress as my canvas and go to Photoshop when needed. It can be anywhere from four weeks to a month or more. I spend alot of time making sure everything is perfect, code and design. It can be a pretty length process but I enjoy every minute of it. I won’t ever put out a buggy product that doesn’t pass the theme check, as if I were going to release a theme on the WP repository.

I’d like to read about the processes of others as well.

1453 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
Bedros says

“Responsibility” is the most important thing. I know there are some authors writing help files for weeks. “Quality over quantity” must be the motto.

131 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
edumicro says

Since I am just a designer, I can only speak from a design point of view.

From sketch to a fully designed theme, it can easily take at least 2 weeks to 1 month for a well thought theme.

631 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
UBLThemes says

It takes me from 2-3 weeks depending on how complex the theme will be.

Thats from PSD -> HTML -> WORDPRESS

220 posts
  • France
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
corsonr says

Thanks guys for replying, so some of few just do not create a wireframe on photoshop and start directly by coding on a fresh WP install (this is what i do for half of my projects). Do other authors want to share their experience ?

1685 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

Probably between 3-5 weeks from HTML > WP. And another 2-3 for PSD > HTML . I’m a coder and can’t estimate the design part.

307 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
brainbuzzmedia says

It varies hugely on the framework that you have for your themes. Theme options, extra custom usability, shortcodes, sliders, etc. If you use the same framework and are only building a new design it can be not so bad. I can create a psd in a week and turn it into a wordpress theme in three more weeks after that. The things that take time are the development of new features and functionality. Those are the ones that are totally unpredictable, for me at least.

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
greenshady says

I typically code 95% of the theme in about two days time. But, this is because I have an extremely streamlined process that I’ve built up over the past 8 years. So, the actual building of the theme doesn’t take long at all. I just put in two full days of work.

However, it generally takes me between one to two months for a finished product. Most of this is devoted to testing and tweaking. Sometimes, I’ll just let the theme sit for a week or two, work on something else in the meantime, and come at it with a fresh mind later.

I also rarely design a theme in Photoshop, so that’s not really part of my process. I just use it when something in the theme calls for it.

366 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • New Zealand
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
PixelStores says

I typically code 95% of the theme in about two days time. But, this is because I have an extremely streamlined process that I’ve built up over the past 8 years. So, the actual building of the theme doesn’t take long at all. I just put in two full days of work.

Good work Shady! I’m hoping to have a similar process in future development, I learnt how important it is to have a structure and framework for the development process. I spent a good six months for a finished product, but i’m hoping to cut this by half now the framework is in place ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by