751 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CyberShot says

I am learning web design right now. I am in school. It’s tough because there is so much out there to learn. php, javascript….You all know the idea. The thing is that I am 35 and just now starting. I see some of the work here on this site and it blows me away. I keep looking forward to the day when I will have the skills I see here on this site. I guess my question is. How long did it take for you to get as far as you are? what did your first sites look like? Anyone got any pictures of their first site that could give me hope? :-)

164 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
hagdesigns says

It just takes time. It took me about 2 years to get where I am now. I don’t have any pictures, but believe me, they looked a lot worse then my current sites.

78 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
rkquest says

I’m 26 and been programming all my life but I started design just very recently. I came in to TF as a noob designer and I’m still a noob designer. :D My designs may not be as spectacular as the other dudes here but I’m learning slowly and improving my design techniques. Hopefully I can become a solid designer too someday. :p

1437 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says
I’m 26 and been programming all my life but I started design just very recently. I came in to TF as a noob designer and I’m still a noob designer. :D My designs may not be as spectacular as the other dudes here but I’m learning slowly and improving my design techniques. Hopefully I can become a solid designer too someday. :p

Well, you one of those who show some good improvements on design here so fat. It is interesting to review your new upload files :)

238 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+4 more
Mastergreed says

I’ve build my first website when I was 16, four years ago. It was a… minimalistic style :). I started learning themes design for real two years ago (two and a half).

Generally learning the principles is taking about a year, but the more websites you’re making the faster you’re learning. Everything else is practice, practice, practice.

145 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
JJenZz says

I designed my first when I was 11 but been doing it professionally for about 6/7 years now.

Get ready for some uglinesss! haha:

6 years ago for clients
your-service.co.uk
testinvest.co.uk
fallprotect.co.uk

My portfolio over the years
2003 – some images are missing =(

Don’t laugh too hard ;)

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
The thing is that I am 35 and just now starting.

You’re still young! I’ve met people that are in their 40’s, 50’s and even 60’s that blow me away because they act and live like they’re half their age.

The really nice thing about the web is that you don’t have to learn it from when it started until now. You only have to learn what is current in the industry and move forward from there. The downside of the web is that it’s HUGE !!! What I suggest doing though, is learning HTML and CSS 100 % through so you know it like the back of your hand (if that’s the area you want to be a part of) and then as time permits, start adding what you need most next that is hot in the industry.

It has taken a little over 3 years for me to get where I am today and over half of that was graphic design for newspapers (which is ugly as sin by the clients request). The advantage I have is that I’m an electronics geek. In 6th grade I was building custom electronics. In 8th grade I learned how to build a website (tables and frontpage) but I didn’t take it seriously and continued on the hardware path while dabbling in web stuff all the way through college (electronics engineer). So technically it has taken my whole life to get where I am! lol :) BTW , electronics engineering is boring which is why I am now a freelancer. I wanted to do something fun as my work, lol. :D

505 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+4 more
CraigSnedeker says

I’m 16, been working at graphic design for, oh, 5 or 6 years. Self taught.

255 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
BuchmannDesign says

I’ve been involved in web design since 1993-ish. In 1995 i was the first student ever at my university to submit a major essay/report as a web page. It had frames and animate Gifs! :)

Only now have i decided to hopefully make money off it.

164 posts
+4 more
hagdesigns says
It had frames and animate Gifs! :)

Tabled design too? :)

I remember a few years back when for a web designer your pitch was “a tableless design!”. A design that used CSS was cutting edge!
by
by
by
by
by
by