How many of you would quit your current job and sell only through Envato marketplaces...

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says
RubenBristian said
pezflash said
omarabid said
Economics: Envato gives 30% affiliate commission. This means 75% author rates are impossible. They’d be losing 5% each time an author refer someone to buy his file. I’ll then game the system, and make 5% on each click.
?? Strange reasoning. Something is not working here. ;)
If i have a file that costs $100 i would get $75 from the sale. If i would create a fake account and be referred by me, after spending $100 on my file, i would get $30 from the referrals. So that’s $100 invested and a profit of $5.. If i would do this 100 times i would get $500 for nothing :D

Well, if you have 100 credits cards or 100 paypal accounts under your control that could work, as you will need 100 valid new users. But considering you can ask people to buy it, for a comission, let’s say, $3, you will get $200. If the money movements (they will need to send you the money again) are on Paypal, you need to rest some on comissions. Much more if you use bank accounts. Well, you can meet the people on street to get the money on hand, but will spend the $200 on shoes and most probably, umbrellas.

Also, i forgot. You’ll need 100 different IPs to make the referals. That could mean 100 internet connections or 100 computers, in the worst case.

:P

45 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Slovenia
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
Tarrum says

Living a freelance life and earning enough on Envato is perhaps a dream for most of us. I currently don’t have a full time job, we live together with a few people and we all have our own way of earning – I do it with photography which can sometimes earn a lot, or just enough to go through the month. I also run a website that I hope to make it huge one day.

If you want to be full-time here you’ll need to consider that a place like GraphicRiver is extremely hard to live on, whereas ThemeForest for example is a gold mine if you make – that’s where I am heading to and perhaps many more people are trying to get into as well.

The current rates are brilliant, seriously. The more you sell the more you earn, 70% as maximum is wonderful.

A mixture of Envato + little bit of interesting work for clients = Win.

62 posts
  • Denmark
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
CMYKAOS says

For sure…! If I could live off thin air… and crank out mind-blowing designs like a meticulous robot I would definitely quit my current job and sell only through Envato!

Hey don’t laugh… I’m working on it!

+

Peace

149 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
IulianN says
KiwiStudio said
At least 45$ for wp and 20 for HTML would get people more interested.

+100 :D

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
JamiGibbs said
I think the better solution would be to raise file prices. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Agreed. The percentages are generous in my opinion, considering Envato’s overhead, and really aren’t the issue.

I look at it this way: you can earn 70% on a sale and 30% on a commission (for your own product). That means that if you refer from your site to Envato and make a sale, you earn 100% of the price – even though Envato still takes care of the payment gateways, download bandwidth, and more. In my mind, this is more than fair.

The argument that prices are too low, on the other hand is entirely separate. I think most everyone (including me) agrees that the files are undervalued, and prices should be raised – but that’s just the way of a volume “stock” marketplace. The trick is how to increase prices (gradually) without losing revenue due to decreased customers – and that’s not a simple task.

90 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
siredesigns says
Sneek said
If Envato raised commission rates would that encourage authors to work harder? I doubt it, earning money becomes easier. Keeping the rates lower would encourage authors to work harder to reach their goals – my 2 cents.

If you’re reasoning were true it would apply at the 40% level, 30% level, 10%, 5%; which is obviously not true.

90 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
siredesigns says
KiwiStudio said
JamiGibbs said
I think the better solution would be to raise file prices. Just my 2 cents. ;)

+1 for this one.

35$ Fully-featured and flexible wp themes, or 15$ HTML websites … it’s quite a pity…

This would achieve the same result, and something I am definitely in favor for. 50% of $40 is less than 75% of $30. Freedom over prices I think would be a better ideal.

2001 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United States
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Graphic-Studio says

I would just like to say Pick Me, Pick Me!

Oh, I thought it was a contest!!! ;-)

2821 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Higher prices = less sales. My 2c (from experience). In my opinion they have a perfect balance between author income, author motivation and covering running costs (hosting, advertising, development, legals, etc..)

Steering back to the OT – Our “4 years as an author” goal is to be 100% Envato income :) We’re at about 80% now. Envato has improved the marketplace immensely since we began selling (especially by raising the commission rate a while ago) – and I believe things are just going to get better for all of us. So many of us will be quitting our jobs and earning from Envato in the years to come.

436 posts Don't be a HATER!
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
webinpixels says
RubenBristian said
I don’t have a job! :D