How many of you would quit your current job and sell only through Envato marketplaces...

2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

I’ve never had a job and I earn more than a careers advisor. Not boasting (well kinda) but just showing you he potential.

110 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
cartermatic says

If I could find someone to partner with to code my templates then I probably would. My last guy promised me he would do it in the 6 weeks I was in Austria and I came back and nothing was done because apparently he couldn’t figure out how to the header.

2063 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
Landonw says
ThemeProvince said
I’ve never had a job and I earn more than a careers advisor. Not boasting (well kinda) but just showing you he potential.

Says the guy who is $9,000 from being an elite author.

2127 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says
LandonWilson said
ThemeProvince said
Says the guy who is $9,000 from being an elite author.

Must have overhead too!!

Because as the profile states:

“We make unique quality themes for the WordPress platform”

441 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
pixelnourish says
Graphic-Studio said
Must have overhead too!!

Because as the profile states:

“We make unique quality themes for the WordPress platform”

A lot of people do the “We” thing when they are a single entity. I know I do it :)

90 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
siredesigns says
dtbaker said
Higher prices = less sales. My 2c (from experience). In my opinion they have a perfect balance between author income, author motivation and covering running costs (hosting, advertising, development, legals, etc..)

Higher prices sometimes mean more sales. For example, many people I found were simply downloading my script from Warez sites (I implemented an email notification into my system each time it was installed). When I emailed them asking if they purchased it from CodeCanyon, 1/3 times they said they were testing it because they didn’t think that, since it was so inexpensive, it could be good.

Additionally, sales is not the end goal. Profit is. Finding that equilibrium is not something Envato does sadly. If Envato gave authors more control over prices, we would finally have the means to find an optimal price/sale ratio that will both benefit Envato and us (If we make more money, Envato makes more money). No one loses in this situation and I can see no downside to allowing authors to do this. What is the rationale to why we are not allowed to set our own prices for a product we produce, maintain, market, support, and improve?

136 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

I agree with you about profit being the end objective however..

I think the reason we aren’t allowed to set our own prices (this may be wrong ofc, just my guess) is that it opens the door to gaming / dirty tricks and price wars.

Authors willing to accept lower incomes (e.g. authors from countries where the dollar goes a lot further) could drive prices down, especially new authors where it could be a way to get a foot in the door.

Of course this could be avoided by allowing only price raises ;)

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says
ThemeShaper said
I agree with you about profit being the end objective however..

I think the reason we aren’t allowed to set our own prices (this may be wrong ofc, just my guess) is that it opens the door to gaming / dirty tricks and price wars.

Authors willing to accept lower incomes (e.g. authors from countries where the dollar goes a lot further) could drive prices down, especially new authors where it could be a way to get a foot in the door.

Of course this could be avoided by allowing only price raises ;)

Totally right!

289 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+2 more
dany_j says

I know its difficult task to ask 75% for sale, but it felt so good during envato birthday.
That percentage make things much more serious

484 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
omarabid says
siredesigns said
dtbaker said
Higher prices = less sales. My 2c (from experience). In my opinion they have a perfect balance between author income, author motivation and covering running costs (hosting, advertising, development, legals, etc..)

Higher prices sometimes mean more sales. For example, many people I found were simply downloading my script from Warez sites (I implemented an email notification into my system each time it was installed). When I emailed them asking if they purchased it from CodeCanyon, 1/3 times they said they were testing it because they didn’t think that, since it was so inexpensive, it could be good.

Additionally, sales is not the end goal. Profit is. Finding that equilibrium is not something Envato does sadly. If Envato gave authors more control over prices, we would finally have the means to find an optimal price/sale ratio that will both benefit Envato and us (If we make more money, Envato makes more money). No one loses in this situation and I can see no downside to allowing authors to do this. What is the rationale to why we are not allowed to set our own prices for a product we produce, maintain, market, support, and improve?
Siredesigns, do the math.
Plutonium: 21 authors * $250K = $5.25million (at least)
Blue Steel: 54 *  $100K = $5.4m
Gold: 107 * $50k = $5.35m
Silver: 458 * $10k = $4.58m
Black: 411 * $5k = $2m
Red: 1618 * $1k = $1.6m
Brown: 3137 * $100 = $0.3m (!!)
Orange: 3254 * $50 = $0.15m (!!)
Do you see? The top 200 authors are making around 65% of Envato profit. 200 authors from 9060 authors.

That’s why Envato created an Elite program. Elite can change the price. Elite can change the top bar. Elite has some $$ to advertise. Elite are making most Envato money, but non-elite can make some $$ or become Elite. An elite member might have made more than 7000 authors assembled.

Do you want to change the prices, make a living from Envato, quit your daily job? Do it, just do it. If you have a family, you just should be more responsible and ensure that you have enough savings..

by
by
by
by
by
by