12 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
51face says

Hi all, I am a newbie here… just trying out to submit my first magento theme. It has been rejected twice. But I’m still workin on it ;)

I admit it drive me crazy at first. But later after I read many threads on this forum, I see that there are many other guy just like me who got rejected even a lot more. Some feel desperate and decide not to continue, but some others seems to be persistent enough to make his way around this marketplace.

I also see quite many soon-to-be authors which get angry with the rejection. They curse the reviewer for not giving any pointers to help them, they curse the the whole reviewing system, I even see some guys who curse other accepted item for not being as good as theirs :D

Well, I dedicated this thread for those who got emotional with their rejection.

Please share your experience on the rejection
  • How many rejection before your item finally get accepted? once, twice or even… none?
  • What you did to overcome the rejection?
  • Did you just polish your item here and there?
  • Or did you just simply leave it out and start over with a new (hopefully) better item?

This kind of sharing will help me (and I’m pretty sure all the newbie authors out there) a lot. It will add us some more motivation to go through all the reviewing process. And hopefully, this will also help all the guys who eventually got mad with the rejection, to face those rejection more calmly and react to the rejection in a more positive ways.

4133 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Well, it’s not a predetermined number. The reviewer doesn’t look at your file twice, then scratches his head, hits a chicken over the head and counts the steps it takes before knocking out and bingo… there is your number! ( What the heck did I just say :D )

1. It all depends on the improvements you bring, and honestly, if your file is ready or not! I’ve been rejected for one file ( this happened over on ActiveDen ) about 17 times before it got approved! The trick is, I didn’t give up! :P

2. Simple. Read the mail, do what is says, polish, polish, upgrade, upgrade, polish, polish, bingoooooo and you’re approved! Work hard!

3. ^

4. Sometimes it is best to scrub something, but don’t be afraid to do so! It does take time to get the “feel” of things! You’ll start seeing quality stuff, you’ll start feeling if it’s good or not! For this, I suggest a few days ( 29 hours a day if possible ) looking over QUALITY inspiration material. Check out top selling files, typography examples, whitespace balance, etc etc!

Also, feel free to read Dealing with rejections part 1 , and part 2 and last but not least, part 3!

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
51face says

1. It all depends on the improvements you bring, and honestly, if your file is ready or not! I’ve been rejected for one file ( this happened over on ActiveDen ) about 17 times before it got approved! The trick is, I didn’t give up! :P

Whoaa… 17 times rejections for one file! now that’s definitely a hit for some guys out there who got mad and desperate after just a few (one or two?) rejections

Thanks for all the links you supplied anyway

Still hoping for more sharing from other member (doesn’t matter you’re senior or junior or newbie or whatever… sharing always good :) )

320 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
billyf says

Hi,

I have got myself rejected 4-5 times for my first item (which was finally approved), so don’t give up easily :)

As for your design, I have some suggestions:

1) The header banner is ugly. You should get something better as a placeholder.

2) Strong shadows and gradients are outdated. Use something more subtle.

3) Be more consistent with your design. I see some elements having rounded corners, but not others.

4) Work more on font spacing / spacing in general. The text area under the slider seems too crowded.

5) The price tag should have consistent spacing, even if some items do not have ratings / reviews or if they have shorter / longer title.

Thanks and good luck getting it accepted.

6 posts
  • Exclusive Author
weblanzarote says

Thanks for this post, 51face, is just what I needed to read after my item was rejected for the third time (a few hours ago). My second try. My third try. Honestly, for me is a bit strange that the reviewers were sellers that themselves have items for sale. Because obviously they are not interested to approbe items compiting with theirs. Am I wrong? Anyway, is better don´t think about that, there are a lot a approbed items everyday, so I suppose the reviewing system is ok… and all you have to do is work harder and don´t give up.

303 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
BittLoader says

@billyf You lucky man to find a reviewer like that! :)

Some of them don’t give any clear reason for rejection and other say just “it is similar”, or “doesn’t have enough features” and so on…

It is very good when you have clear instructions about what is wrong or not but it is very bad when you are “in the air” with some general rejection terms.

Just my 2c.

47 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Singapore
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
nahid29 says

LoL 17 times???? I don’t have patience to wait for so long but yeah this is something good I learned from here. I will give this thought a push to make my daily life more worthy and more files to be posted on envato soon.

Never ever give uP!!!!!!

26 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
arrowsuites says

I am going on my 7th upload right now.

The main reason for this is that Envato doesn’t give you good reasons. It’s just some generic thing that doesn’t help you. If I knew how close I was to getting accepted then I could determine whether I should make small or drastic changes.

2152 posts
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
manuelvega says

hey friends , you give hope xD .. I’m going for my first item and i was rejected like a 5 times ..

1645 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

7 rejections for my first :)

by