(Locked) How much do you charge clients for creating a website using a WordPress Theme?

456 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
godonholiday says

I have done a few blogs (hi profile in their industry) and used themes from here. Generally charge around £800 to £1000

I work like this:

1. Ask them to email sites they like the look/layout. What they must have on it, twitter etc.. 2. I research their competitors etc.. 3. I have a quick look through some of the templates on here, starting with the authors I have bought from before and then just generally. 4. Meet the client again and try to show 2-3 possible layouts and talk color scheme etc.. 5. They choose one, I purchase the theme that closest matches that layout and start to customise it.

Usually when I get to step 4, the client just says “yeah yeah great can we just get it up ASAP ”

I try to do it in two weeks or at least have something up they can see online.

Once it is up, I meet again and see if there is anything they want to change and then take them through how to add, change the content (I am using screencasts more and more)

Now I get my money… and the client knows how to change the content, and that they might need some extra help down the line. So I let them know that I charge £25/hr but if I can help them over an email it will be free. Thats is.

4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
sydneycraig says

thanks for all the honest replies…i am based in sydney and would be looking at around 2k us for building a site based on a customised theme. obviously the level of customisation would be quite a lot and not just talking changing the link colors and logo!!

would also include installing the must have plugins and some seo implementation

cheers

346 posts Gambit
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

I have done a few blogs (hi profile in their industry) and used themes from here. Generally charge around £800 to £1000

I work like this:

1. Ask them to email sites they like the look/layout. What they must have on it, twitter etc.. 2. I research their competitors etc.. 3. I have a quick look through some of the templates on here, starting with the authors I have bought from before and then just generally. 4. Meet the client again and try to show 2-3 possible layouts and talk color scheme etc.. 5. They choose one, I purchase the theme that closest matches that layout and start to customise it.

Usually when I get to step 4, the client just says “yeah yeah great can we just get it up ASAP ”

I try to do it in two weeks or at least have something up they can see online.

Once it is up, I meet again and see if there is anything they want to change and then take them through how to add, change the content (I am using screencasts more and more)

Now I get my money… and the client knows how to change the content, and that they might need some extra help down the line. So I let them know that I charge £25/hr but if I can help them over an email it will be free. Thats is.

This is 99.9% what I am doing right now, except that I give them the option (with an added price ofcourse) whether or not they would want a user manual on now to manage their emails (this is IF I setup their domain, and setup their emails also), and on how to manage their website (what page in WP to edit for the frontpage, etc).

11 posts
jsatt83 says

Dear experts:

First off, BIG thanks to you all for contributing to this post; it has definitely helped at least one newbie to get a better understanding of the process and industry.
I'm replying to this post because I'm looking to procure some of the services that are described here. I know that the forums aren’t necessarily the proper venue to do that, but I’m hoping that someone can at least point me in the right direction.
I occasionally built websites in FrontPage years ago, which, in technology time is obviously more like centuries. Now that my skills are nice and rusty, I finally have a need to build a website for a new business venture.
I’ve thoroughly searched ThemeForest and identified a template that is ideal for my business. The site is amazing, but leaves a lot to be desired for old heads like me :nerdy: who don’t know what to do once they download. I assumed that I’d be able to hit the ground running, but after delving a little deeper, have decided to leave the HMTL to the pros and focus on what I’m a pro at - animating.

Having said (all) that, is anyone here interested in making some money by getting my purchased template launched? don’t need this done immediately and wouldn’t require anything beyond that. If so, please shoot me an email or sitemail letting me know how much you would charge.

I have already chosen and downloaded a template that will require little to no adjustments. I have all of the text/content for the site and can import/change it with simple instruction. No future maintenance is required.
  1. I’m also willing to make a paypal transfer for $100 (+ tip) if one of you experts simply wants walk me through the process over an hour.

:D Jason
11 posts
jsatt83 says

Wow. embarrassing.

Case in point- I don’t know how to use HTML . Sorry about that. This is what I meant to send:

First off, BIG thanks to you all for contributing to this post; it has definitely helped at least one newbie to get a better understanding of the process and industry.

I’m replying to this post because I’m looking to procure some of the services that are described here. I know that the forums aren’t necessarily the proper venue to do that, but I’m hoping that someone can at least point me in the right direction.

I occasionally built websites in FrontPage years ago, which, in technology time is obviously more like centuries. Now that my skills are nice and rusty, I finally have a need to build a website for a new business venture.

I’ve thoroughly searched ThemeForest and identified a template that is ideal for my business. The site is amazing, but leaves a lot to be desired for old heads like me :nerdy: who don’t know what to do once they download. I assumed that I’d be able to hit the ground running, but after delving a little deeper, have decided to leave the HMTL to the pros and focus on what I’m a pro at – animating.

Having said (all) that, is anyone here interested in making some money by getting my purchased template launched? don’t need this done immediately and wouldn’t require anything beyond that. If so, please shoot me an email or sitemail letting me know how much you would charge.

I have already chosen and downloaded a template that will require little to no adjustments. I have all of the text/content for the site and can import/change it with simple instruction. No future maintenance is required.

I’m also willing to make a paypal transfer for $100 (+ tip) if one of you experts simply wants walk me through the process over an hour.
:D Jason
2045 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

jsatt83, if you want you can send better details to me at landon@landonw.com so I can give you a quote.

356 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
FutureSight says

Wow. embarrassing.

Case in point- I don’t know how to use HTML . Sorry about that. This is what I meant to send:

I’m replying to this post because I’m looking to procure some of the services that are described here. I know that the forums aren’t necessarily the proper venue to do that, but I’m hoping that someone can at least point me in the right direction.

I’ve thoroughly searched ThemeForest and identified a template that is ideal for my business. The site is amazing, but leaves a lot to be desired for old heads like me :nerdy: who don’t know what to do once they download. I assumed that I’d be able to hit the ground running, but after delving a little deeper, have decided to leave the HMTL to the pros and focus on what I’m a pro at – animating.

I have already chosen and downloaded a template that will require little to no adjustments. I have all of the text/content for the site and can import/change it with simple instruction. No future maintenance is required. I’m also willing to make a paypal transfer for $100 (+ tip) if one of you experts simply wants walk me through the process over an hour. :D Jason

I am happy to help you as well :)

williamwolfes@gmail.com

11 posts
jsatt83 says

You guys are awesome. I LOVE this place!!!!

356 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
FutureSight says

You guys are awesome. I LOVE this place!!!!

Me too! :D :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
jagonly says

Hi There…I’m new with this, so I thank you guys for sharing. No new reply? Or am I missing something?

by
by
by
by
by
by