(Locked) How much do you charge clients for creating a website using a WordPress Theme?

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
michiganmade says

I’m wondering if you could contact us for a project? michigan-made.com/contact Thanks!

I’m in Jordan, my clients are everywhere :) a 2000 for premium theme with PHP modifications seems legitimate
3 posts
michiganmade says
I’m wondering if you could contact us for a project? michigan-made.com/contact Thanks!

Even without I think is reasonable and I know many who charge more in oz … I offer free support and don’t charge for small updates and fixes and charging $2k plus allows this … Clients seem perfectly happy with the price after shopping around … People charging 1k are those who mess things up and offer no support … Their clients ultimately become mine …
7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
sidewayset says

This Thread Is Amazingly Long :), Just Quick Question.

I use Themeforest themes for my clients, and charge 150$-500$, is this low or high? I include modifications,ect… And what is highest you can charge using themes from here?

Thanks

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
sydneycraig says

$150 is very low – as mentioned above many charge 1500-2500 for a website based on a theme… but this would include;

setting wordpress up and installing theme adding a child theme and modifying the css and graphics to change the overall look (not functionality) – this can include a design stage where screenshots are given of proposed design mods and can be changed as requested by client uploading all the content to the site adding various plugins as needed 1 years hosting, tracking, emails, graphics for FB and business cards etc on site seo and advise for off-site seo instructions for updating content + email and phone support if required prompt support for any issues after its all finished i would charge 2k + for this which is (for australia) a good price – yes people charge much less, but they may wellsoon realise its not worth their time doing so and either provide a crap website and/or crap support…i have had 3 or 4 clients come to me after a $500 website disaster!!

7 posts
sidewayset says

@sydneycraig Thanks A Lot For This Reply, It will help me with my future quote :)

23 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+2 more
bravewhale says

I use Themeforest themes for my clients, and charge 150$-500$, is this low or high?

A very important factor in all this is your type of client. The Oxford Group says they get fortune 1000 clients who have large budgets, so charging them $8,000 is not a problem. But if you find your clients on CraigsList and they have a low budget (below $1,000) then that’s the range you should charge within. As you find new clients, and determine their budgets, you can start to charge more. Just go with the flow and charge what the site is worth to the client.

I personally do mostly custom WP sites for my clients, but I’ve done several theme sites, and they have in fact ranged from $500 – $4000, depending on the client’s budget and how I got the client.

Also remember, that you’re ideally trying to use a theme to take advantage of its out of the box features. So if a low budget client wants you to customize something that can’t be done in the theme options, you should tell them it will cost more. Let them know that for their budget, you need to do things as quickly and easily as possible (i.e. using the theme out of the box). This even works with larger clients who place more value on getting a site online ASAP.

I’d like to point out that I think it’s inane to create service limitations like, “you only get 5-10 pages for this price,” when you’re using a WP theme. These themes have page templates which are ready to go! How hard is it for you to create a new page in the admin? The same philosophy goes for other limitations others may set, that really don’t impact the time it takes to setup a theme. Don’t take advantage of your clients with silly restrictions.

7 posts
sidewayset says

A very important factor in all this is your type of client.

Hello, Thanks for important tips, i actually never put restrictions on clients like pages,content etc… I actually use freelancing websites for clients, I would really appreciate if you give me some websites,tips or suggestions how to find client that has more budget, as i did websites from 100-500$ on freelance websites but as @sydneycraig it actually cost more ,since i did install wordpress, custom css, hosting ,support, ect…

11 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
rukcs says

I hope this will guide most developers

Regarding page limitations I do that for cheap customers. I have to do that so they don’t keep calling you and waste your time.

Here is what I mostly do to justify why I’m charging $1000 , sometimes more depending on the clients and their requirements. After installing the theme properly and securely, I modify the theme as follows :

1. Move CSS to top and java-scripts to the footer

2. use Yslow to test website speed

3. Use google pagespeed

4. Use css sprite

5. Reduce javascript to one file

6. Reduce CSS to one file

7. Optimize images

8. Use Caching

9. Avoid calling a file directly in wordpress, use <?php bloginfo(“template_directory”); ?> instead

10. Use image maps

11. Minify CSS and HTML

12. After all that is done. Optimize the database and remove post revisions

13. You can make a child theme, and do all the above through functions.php so that theme update won’t affect the changes.

Hope that will help you feel honest, deliver a safe and optimized website to the client

7 posts
sidewayset says

Thanks For Tips And Suggestions

2 posts
jmaiapu says

I think they just use very cheap workers who work very quickly. There are very talented coders in countries like India, Philippines, Ukraine, etc., where the salaries are lower than in the US or Australia. If they can code an HTML page in 8 hours at $5-10/hr, that’s $40-80, when the customer pays $150, that’s a nice profit margin. Even more profitable if they can find workers at the lower end of that salary range or if they can do it in less time (I notice they charge $19 extra for IE6 compatibility).
I live in Costa Rica and I was once in an job interview on one of the most popular psd to html companies. They offer me $800 per month (max). That’s like $4.5 per hour. I can imagine it gets a lot cheaper in other countries. Here that salary is good for a student or a begginer I guess, but too low for someone with experience.

How can I contact this person.?

by
by
by
by
by
by