1025 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
sike says
I for one, have fully switched over to AS3 , all of my new files are/will be AS3 . All of my new projects are done in AS3 , so I guess I’m the minority, but in time, the transition will happen.

Most of my items are in AS3 , too. I try to avoid the timeline code. :)

189 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
mbudm says

I’m jumping between as3 and as2 at the moment – depending on what i’m making and who it is aimed at. What i find is that now i’m trying to inflict more of the class oop structure on my as2 code which is probably a good thing

2191 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+14 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

I work in as3 for over a year and I am really glad that I switched! Now I use onsly as3, I doesnt take any as2 work… I recently started the AS3 Basics tutorial if you want to check it here it is: part1 , part2

926 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
michelsteege says
I work in as3 for over a year and I am really glad that I switched! Now I use onsly as3, I doesnt take any as2 work… I recently started the AS3 Basics tutorial if you want to check it here it is: part1 , part2

Same here, it really sucks to work on some old as2 projects every now and then. As3 is so much better then 2 and it looks a lot more on other programming languages.

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
boontaran says

Agree.. I have never regretted learning as3 :) and I hope AS3 market in flashden will be starting to grow up :)

45 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
MS-Design says

as2 will last about a year, I think and I hope :)

I use only AS3 because AS2 is confusing and when I open old projects written in as2 I’m scared!

Looking for piece of code on mc , button and frame…. superbig timeline and _root.parent.parent.parent forever!

926 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
michelsteege says
as2 will last about a year, I think and I hope :) I use only AS3 because AS2 is confusing and when I open old projects written in as2 I’m scared! Looking for piece of code on mc , button and frame…. superbig timeline and _root.parent.parent.parent forever!

Hurray for oop and as3 :) no more underscores endless timelines, timline code, _root, _parent buggy code that doesn’t give a error = result, a buggy website

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

Reading this discussion seems that in as3 you cannot use code on the timeline or timeline animations and that in as2 is impossible to use OOP to build our projects :-)

We should give correct information to the forum readers :-)

In my opinion the differences between the two versions stay elsewhere…

85 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
gdpgiga says

parkerandkent is right…

Personally, I didn’t so much change the way I approach doing things when I switched from AS2 to AS3 (obviously there are obvious things that you can’t do the same in AS3 that you did in AS2 ).

The biggest way AS3 benefits me? If I have other people working on a project with me, it forces their hand a bit in not being lazy… no more “_global.variable156”, more modularization and actually using classes when you should use them, etc.

Runtime errors and a propper debugging utility are nice to haves as well..

2191 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

I hope you all switch to as3 :P Because as3 files on FD get much less sales the as2 files and thats sad :(

by
by
by
by
by
by