217 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
dilab says

Recently I have a client who bought my script.
At the beginning, he asked for help to get it work on his side, so I did that, and he said it is a very nice script which I wrote.

After sometime, he sent me mails again to ask how to do the integration, which I found out his system needs a bit more modification to do the integration, so we had around 10 emails communication in which he event sent his scripts to take a look. So I told him where to change, and I have to clarify that to modify his script does require sometime, but it is still doable to get it work with my script, and I have explained how to do, and where to do it.

But at the end, he posted message on my profile saying what I have not support enough details how to do it, but from a developer point of view, it is pretty straightforward, it is simply he lacks of programming knowledge, and he is even saying what I wrote is useless stuff.

I think I am very disappointed of client like this, who spent 10 dollars on our script and asking for 100 dollars worth of our development time.

So guys, please give me your opinion.

1461 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

I think you’ve done the best that you can do. I suggest offering him a refund. You’ll only be out $10 and the customer will be happier and probably won’t post anymore negative comments. It would be a win-win for everyone…

303 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Laith says
I think you’ve done the best that you can do. I suggest offering him a refund. You’ll only be out $10 and the customer will be happier and probably won’t post anymore negative comments. It would be a win-win for everyone…

No i don’t think a refund is a good solution, because that client has the script both ways, i think you just have to report his comment so support may delete his comment.

Cheers

Laith :D

217 posts
+4 more
dilab says

Thank you guys for suggestions.

I have reported it

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

Also, you should take into consideration whether or not your script had enough instructions in the first place. Just because it is a programming script (and possibly requires some programming knowledge) does not mean that it should require that the buyer know exactly how to use it. The documentation should be good enough.

I’m not saying your documentation wasn’t sufficient, just that it is something you should consider.

Another thing you could, and probably should do, is always include some sort of disclaimer with your scripts (at least the ones that require programming knowledge) that indicate the kind of skills required to use it.

You can also include “Additional Support” details in your documentation, where you describe the kind of support you will offer for free, and also the kind of support that will require additional payment.

And lastly, never be afraid to tell a person that the support they’re asking for requires additional payment, assuming that it is justified.

217 posts
+4 more
dilab says
Also, you should take into consideration whether or not your script had enough instructions in the first place. Just because it is a programming script (and possibly requires some programming knowledge) does not mean that it should require that the buyer know exactly how to use it. The documentation should be good enough.

I’m not saying your documentation wasn’t sufficient, just that it is something you should consider.

Another thing you could, and probably should do, is always include some sort of disclaimer with your scripts (at least the ones that require programming knowledge) that indicate the kind of skills required to use it.

You can also include “Additional Support” details in your documentation, where you describe the kind of support you will offer for free, and also the kind of support that will require additional payment.

And lastly, never be afraid to tell a person that the support they’re asking for requires additional payment, assuming that it is justified.

Thank you very much!

484 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
omarabid says

You don’t need to provide any kind of support, actually you shouldn’t. I generally ask the buyers to post a comment about their question, like that they can’t expand further. If there is something which needs custom programming and integration, you should charge for it. As mordauk stated, it’s very important to tell in the description the needed skills level.

by
by
by
by
by
by