630 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says

As you all know I am more of a Designer than a coder so setting up prices is a bit tricky. This is going to sound a little like a pitch but I’ve added some prices only so you can understand my question.

Ok, I create a 5 page static website for £230 ($380) which is a little below average for where I live, that’s ok but how much do I then charge for a CMS website based on Wordpress? In my region the average seems around £550 ($907) for a cms website but I dont think that a £300+ hike for using something that already exists (Wordpress) is worth it…perhaps I’m wrong.

Any advice gratefully received.

228 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
stevebluck says

I know people who charge in the £xxxx’s for a wordpress website. Learning to skin wordpress is one of the most profitable things for web designers like us.

You need to make a living, so tell yourself, how long does it take to create a wordpress theme? What is the quality and take into account loads of other things that are said on various articles all over the web.

Who are you selling to is another factor to take into account.

342 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
reidknorr says

one thing i’ve learned is that 9 out of 10 times im afraid to ask for the amount i deserve when really the client was willing to pay it in the first place.

6 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United Kingdom
knightsofdesign says
one thing i’ve learned is that 9 out of 10 times im afraid to ask for the amount i deserve when really the client was willing to pay it in the first place.

I agree 100%, there’s so many designers/developers out there getting completely under paid for what they’re worth. But what can we do when there’s so many other designers/developers offering to make a website for pennies out there? Vicious circle if you ask me!

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
PixelBin says

Yeah, me too. I don’t want to drive the client away by asking too much, but when I do, they’re extremely happy about the price and don’t even think it’s that much.

1589 posts Chris Robinson
    Located in United States Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

Don’t be afraid to tell them its going to be XXXX amount, theres two things that will happen they’ll come back and ask “Well can you do it for XXXX amount” (usually a couple hundred less) or they’ll come back with “Well that’s to much, my friends cousin Jimmy said he can build me a whole site for $50” (which is fine you most likely didn’t want to work with that client anyways).

Bottom line don’t sell yourself short, be confident. You’re the expert.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Don’t be afraid to tell them its going to be XXXX amount, theres two things that will happen they’ll come back and ask “Well can you do it for XXXX amount” (usually a couple hundred less) or they’ll come back with “Well that’s to much, my friends cousin Jimmy said he can build me a whole site for $50” (which is fine you most likely didn’t want to work with that client anyways).

Bottom line don’t sell yourself short, be confident. You’re the expert.

+1

Never underestimate your selling price. The simple fact is that if someone comes to you with their business they already know in their mind they want to use you – use this to your advantage. And no that does not mean extortion just the chips are on your side.

I was told years ago when I was in your situation, by a very large advertising agency I was contract working for that I needed to DOUBLE my hourly rate because at first they didn’t take me seriously but after seeing my work they suggested I doubled my rate – I did and everyone was still happy.

And, as contempoinc said, the majority of people expect a little wiggle room – you HAVE to build this in – it’s also nice because if you quote $x and yet didn’t spend as long doing things then you can chop a few hundred off and it makes them VERY happy.

630 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says

Thanks everybody, some great advice here which I will deffo take on board.

by
by
by
by
by
by