492 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
DoubleX says

Hello my fellow colleagues :)
I almost always use motion blur (from now just “MB”), sometimes when it’s not possible to use native MB I use forced MB. But today, when I was working on my new template where camera si almost all the time in the movement, I realized that despite the fact that every movement looks more natural with MB, it starts to lose details. So right now I’m experimenting with combining layers with and without MB enabled. Also it is known that MB makes rendering time much longer.
So how about you, do you use MB? In what cases?

1567 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Yes for my opinion MB is needed almost always. I use it although I don’t have much experience in AE yet. By the way can anybody advise how to control MB in AE? Is there are any options to set MB varying timing degree like when I shot with real camera I choose 180 degree or 360 or 90 degree or whatever is sutable for the current shot depend on how fast movements and other features of scene. Depend on this important parameter we can always have proper balance between MB/smoothness and sharpness. So does this variable exists in AE?

Best Regards, Andrey

2354 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Yes for my opinion MB is needed almost always. I use it although I don’t have much experience in AE yet. By the way can anybody advise how to control MB in AE? Is there are any options to set MB varying timing degree like when I shot with real camera I choose 180 degree or 360 or 90 degree or whatever is sutable for the current shot depend on how fast movements and other features of scene. Depend on this important parameter we can always have proper balance between MB/smoothness and sharpness. So does this variable exists in AE? Best Regards, Andrey

Ofcourse. Go to composition settings and then tab advanced. There you can adjust shutter angle, shutter phase etc. Ofcourse, that only applies for composition you’re in at that moment.

5180 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

The only time I don’t use it is if I’m mimicking stop frame animation.

If your image is too soft from too much movement, then it’s the too much movement that’s the problem, not the motion blur. Think like a camera man.

I sometimes use a 90 degree shutter, as I do when I’m shooting too. It gives a slightly “crisper” feel to the movement without going overboard (like for instance in the battle scenes of Saving Private Ryan, where I believe they shot with a 45 degree shutter)

1567 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Ofcourse. Go to composition settings and then tab advanced. There you can adjust shutter angle, shutter phase etc. Ofcourse, that only applies for composition you’re in at that moment.

EFEKT _Studio, thank you! Great to have these settings!

Best Regards, Andrey

by
by
by
by
by
by