Threads Started
308 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
SnoopyIndustries says

Hope you don’t consider this advertising coz I have nothing to gain, but the opera(browser) mobile emulator is an awesome tool if you don’t have enough kidneys to buy mobile devices.:D

Cheers!

5543 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

I hate most of the mobile versions of the webs i visit. I don’t think its necessary, and i would only use responsiveness on certain cases. I’ve talked with many people about this, and a high percent search the “full version” button each time they are redirected to a responsive site format. With current mobile devices, is so easy to tap-zoom to navigate.
Someday i’ll understand all this crazy trend about responsiveness.

Anything that requires zooming is painful for reading. Even for a 3 line paragraph, if 2 letters hidden right or left, panning becomes painful for a reader. However, a continuous vertical scroll never disturbs. That’s why responsive trend isn’t criticized by many. Developers blindly following trend is another story, that’s how most products manufactured in factories when something proven to be accepted by market. Majority cases, there is no research once production started :P

2211 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+4 more
crozer says

I hate most of the mobile versions of the webs i visit. I don’t think its necessary, and i would only use responsiveness on certain cases. I’ve talked with many people about this, and a high percent search the “full version” button each time they are redirected to a responsive site format. With current mobile devices, is so easy to tap-zoom to navigate.
Someday i’ll understand all this crazy trend about responsiveness.
Anything that requires zooming is painful for reading. Even for a 3 line paragraph, if 2 letters hidden right or left, panning becomes painful for a reader. However, a continuous vertical scroll never disturbs. That’s why responsive trend isn’t criticized by many. Developers blindly following trend is another story, that’s how most products manufactured in factories when something proven to be accepted by market.

I agree with pez. To be honest, everytime a website forces me to use its mobile-version, I hate it. And when the website stays in its original form, I like it, because I can much quicker navigate through it. However, every time I have navigated a regular-version website on a mobile phone, I wondered if my appreciation for this regular-version was due to the fact that I’m a designer/developer, and I wondered if regular visitors (non-developers/designers) actually prefer the mobile-version of a website.

Either way, I don’t own a smartphone, so I really haven’t come across this situation much.

5543 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

^ It depends on website. The preserved original form on all devices needs only for the sites that revisited by many users almost daily – they don’t prefer changing navigation, fine. But a typical TF buyer ($50 investor) doesn’t have such brand value or reach – so regardless of device and design consistency, the site should be easy for less frequent and first time visitors.

2211 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+4 more
crozer says

^ It depends on website. The preserved original form on all devices needs only for the sites that revisited by many users almost daily – they don’t prefer changing navigation, fine. But a typical TF buyer ($50 investor) doesn’t have such brand value or reach – so regardless of device and design consistency, the site should be easy for less frequent and first time visitors.

Good argument. Whatever the case, though, I think the user must not be forced to use one version or the other. If you have an auto mobile-version site, then allow the user to visit the full-version site, and vice versa.

5543 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

^ Yeah, but it seems the “forcing the trend” eventually happens at certain point. If responsive thing slowly occupies majority, it will be called as standard and then the problem starts for even popular websites :D Actually a miniature version of that scenario can be observed as buyer requests on TF and CC:
“When you are going to make this responsive?” “Not yet responsive?” :D

Particularly in TF, responsive is more of a attraction to survive competition than making it as utility value for buyers. That’s why “untested – responsive” become ok for authors! :)

2211 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+4 more
crozer says

^ Yeah, but it seems the “forcing the trend” eventually happens at certain point. If responsive thing slowly occupies majority, it will be called as standard and then the problem starts for even popular websites :D Actually a miniature version of that scenario can be observed as buyer requests on TF and CC:
“When you are going to make this responsive?” “Not yet responsive?” :D

Of course, but is that a positive thing? Trends get audiences way too quickly, before people actually realize (or ask their users) whether it’s something they want, whether it’s something worth paying more for. Not long ago, every company wanted their super-cool Facebook page to have interior flash-sites and whatnot. Now it’s responsiveness. And to be honest, with the speed at which mobile-devices (and PC technology in general) is developing, the next thing you’ll hear is that we now need to develop sites for nano hand-watch computers.

5543 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

^ The problem is actually opposite – we need to develop sites for retina in the future and websites will never be viewed less than ~800 devices. Still we will have fragmentation, sigh!

2211 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+4 more
crozer says

^ The problem is actually opposite – we need to develop sites for retina in the future and websites will never be viewed less than ~800 devices.

If retina becomes a standard.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

Recently Windows 8 devices added :impatient:

Honestly I don’t see how designers/developers can afford to always keep buying these new toys. And you’d think now that development/testing has become a lot more cumbersome we’d be charging more for the work, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

by
by
by
by
by
by