4 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
optic says

Hi, I read the archives but am still not clear on how to use a Creative Commons-licensed image in a commercial theme.

How are people managing that? Do I just have to link the image to Flickr/the author? How does that work when a customer uses the theme?

If somebody could provide clear instructions that would help a lot (I couldn’t find a clear/comprehensive answer).

Thanks. :)

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Basically, link to the Flickr image page it in the demo on the same page the image is used, but don’t include the file in the download package (i.e. don’t distribute the images to buyers).

4 posts
optic says

Hi sevenspark, thanks for the quick response. :)

A follow-up question for you or anybody who can answer:

Do most themes not include photos? Or is it more typical to include fully-licensed or self-produced photos with themes?

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

You’re welcome :)

Most themes do not include photos. It’s expensive to license photos for redistribution, and generally those photos are not useful to buyers anyway. You may choose to include placeholder images instead (black boxes, for example).

4 posts
optic says

Ah okay, thanks for helping me out. :)

4 posts
optic says

Oh, when I look at previews (of inFocus, Striking, and Karma, for example) should I see ownership attributions for those photos, or might those be exceptions where the author/company already owns the images (they seem to load from Flickr but I don’t see any mention of copyright or links)?

14 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
Marcc3d says

Still related to flickr images. In my theme I use a flickr rush jQuery plugin where I need to link to a flickr ID. Do I have to ask permission to a flickr user to be able to link to his images?

by
by
by
by
by
by